PDA

View Full Version : Old vice I bought at a flea mkt

Julio Navarro
03-27-2006, 9:22 AM
Heres an old vice I found at a flee markete over the weekend.

I figured the 17.00 price was fair. What do you think?
The jaw edge is scratched but I think its still very usable.

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 9:29 AM
Well, Julio, IMHO, $17.00 is not going to buy you anything that nice NIB today!!! :) Put it to good use! :) :cool:

Tom Sontag
03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
You got a nice deal. I need a metal working vise like that.

Michael Morin dit Boucher
03-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Julio,

Good deal....perhaps the jaws can be unscrewed and cleaned up?...if not it looks like a solid buy....sometimes quality is in the eye of the beholder and my eye says you've done good.:D

Vince Sandy
03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Julio,

I found a very similar vice a few years ago at a flea market. It was a grimy mess but it cleaned up nicely and has proven to be useful. I didn't want to mount it on a bench so I mounted it on a simple fixture made to fit in my Record 53, an idea I noticed in "The Workbench Book". I made the fixture from cutoffs of 1" Oak stair treads that I had saved after installing hardwood floors and stairs. The vice setup works great when I need it.

Vince in NC

Dave Anderson NH
03-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Vince's idea is a very good one. Almost all of the woodworkers I know who occasionally use a metalworking or machinists vise use the very same setup. It allows you to remove or install the vise in seconds and keep it stored somewhere out of the way uintil you need it.