PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
03-27-2006, 9:13 AM
Good Morning Everyone,

I trust that everyone is doing as well as expected for a Monday. I hope that your weekend was a good one.

I'm finishing up the church cabinet job and I'll have that all done this week. I'm just finishing up the countertops now. All I have left to do is install the countertops and I'll be done!!!! Yea!!!!!

I roughed out a couple of Yellow Poplar bowls this weekend, turned a few that I need to finish the bottoms of so I can call them finished. I've started prepping materials for the computer desk that I'm making for a guy at work. Fortunately a local woodworker that I recently met, Rick de Rogue. Really great guy with a shop so organized that I stood in awe of his organizational skills reflected by his shop. Anyway, I was able to get some walnut lumber from him and this will go for the legs of this computer desk.

Saturday was removing the tiller of the lawn tractor and putting the mower deck on and starting to become grass cutting season. Got the new Stihl MS361 chainsaw out this weekend for the very first time to cut some wood. This baby will CUT some wood!!!! I'm very tickled with my chainsaw purchase.

Sunday was church and I played bass guitar for the worship service. The In-laws arrived late Sunday afternoon and it will be a "fun" time this week.

This week it's back to work, even though I did work for "work" a good bit this weekend due to issues on a system that I'm intimately familiar with.

So, what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tyler Howell
03-27-2006, 9:53 AM
Hi Dennis,
Spent the weekend "charmin the ladies" Had a couple of dates this weekend:D .
Lots of time at the hospice center with mom and family.
Went down to the BORG and solidified a couple of plans for future projects.
Spent some time in the shop trying to master the LV MK11. Good thing I have a lot of practice sharps to work on:o , but I'm almost ready for the good chisels and plane Irons:rolleyes: .
Hitting the punch list on my home remuttling projects. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Matt Meiser
03-27-2006, 9:59 AM
Friday night and Saturday I painted my daughter's room. The previous owners allowed their teenage daughter to paint the room hot pink. Took two coats of Kilz and two coats of paint to get good coverage. Tried to turn a bowl, but the tenon broke off the bottom so I gave up and went on to building the mirror I posted last week in the design forum. Got it about 50% complete. Sunday waited around while LOML stenciled the bedroom in case she needed assistance and then put it back together. Played with Sketchup. Pretty soon I'm going to have to install it on another computer since I'll soon be out of time. Hopefully I can buy it soon--LOML said "that's a pretty cool program" so its probably just a matter of having the cash (which I've spent an awful lot of since December.)

Rod Torgeson
03-27-2006, 10:01 AM
Morning Dennis.....This weekend I finished up my clamp cart. Some say it looks like a pulpit, some say it looks like a tea cart. I guess that means I could serve tea in my shop. Also loaded my truck with some cabinets that I made for a friend down in California. Will be taking them down this week.
Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Scott Coffelt
03-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Worked a few hours on the edge sander refinish project, pretty much got the parts I have down, but now need to fabricate some parts that were missing and then make a new stand. The stand it had was too short one of those forlegged foot grabber types (standard stand).

Pulled my hair out trying to find the cause for poor water pressure on one of my sprinkler zones. No luck, so I will have to work on it agian next weekend. I also need to reinstall a new check value as the old one went bad, so I had removed it anf put in a temporary splice.

Took the boy out to play catch and practice hitting baseballs.

Saturday we had friends over, their boys totally trashed the place. Broke a number of my sons toys (on purpose), continued to disregard our rules, basically were unrully. It usually happens when their boys come over, but not as bad as this weekend. Even though this is a good friend of mine, we made a decision that their boys are just not welcome to come over and play until they mature more. My son can go to there house and play, but not the otherway around. Not that my son is perfect, but he usually respects the rules and others property.

Sad day watching racing, kind of spoiled the day so I didn't watch anymore. For those who don't know, a rookie IRL driver was killed in opening warm up laps. Great Basketball instead.

Brad Noble
03-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Good morning Dennis,

This weekend I went after, bought home and installed into my shop a 1993 model PM66 with sliding table, a Mini Max S45 bandsaw and a Hitachi-Koki F1000A planer/jointer. With a LOT of help from a good friend and professional woodworker, we got the saw put back together and well tuned, the bandsaw tuned up very well and the planer/jointer in fine working condition. All in all, a wonderful weekend. The slider is accurate to within .004", the beis fence to within .005". Love that PM66. I am starting to get emotionally attached to the S45. And the planer/jointer, what else can I say but WOW.

Great weekend!

Brad

JayStPeter
03-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I went to the Chantilly WW show Saturday morning, then to Baja Fresh for lunch. There's no good burrito joints down here, so that's a treat. The show was small, but was getting crowded when I left. There seemed to be some better deals than usual there. I was back and forth on the nicer 990 Delta VS drill press because the price was better than I've seen for the cheaper version. Ultimately I decided I wanted to buy some wood sometime this year and walked away with just a Kreg precision measuring system for my miter saw ... came with a second flip stop at the show (which I would've bought anyway). I also got an extra rail to upgrade my DP table to match. There were a couple other deals that tempted me there including the new PM benchtop mortiser at a pretty good price. Overall it's the first time I've seen prices better than 10% off suggested retail in 5 years.
I also played around with the MM combo machine for a while. It would be nice.

Jay

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Woodworking this weekend was limited to about 20 minutes helping out a friend with some "fit milling" of some molding, etc., for his house. Oh, well...Dr. SWMBO had a whole bunch of grant reviews to complete, so I had to insure that the dynamic duo didn't consume her time too much. We also had some rough times on Saturday with behavior...

Saturday morning, we met with our architect to look over three preliminary ideas for our proposed home addition. One of the three was "darn close" to a very appealing design. Saturday afternoon, I took the younger to a classmate's birthday party at a bowling ally...first time she ever saw such a thing, but she did well, coming in second for her group of four bowlers. Obligatory cute picture...

The rest of my free time, when I was not at the playground or doing other forms of supervision, cooking, etc., I worked on some SketchUp! renderings of the design we liked to better visualize it. With any luck, we may be able to finalize on a preliminary design next Saturday and the architect will be able to do some more formal drawings, etc., that will lead to the "contractor bidding shuffle"...

Have a nice week!

Andy Hoyt
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Made shavings all weekend. Ahh, the good life has returned.

Mark Pruitt
03-27-2006, 11:36 AM
This weekend, I finally got my DC system completely done!!! :D Had one last leg to run to my Delta bandsaw. I used the sheet metal fitting that Delta sells and it performs nicely. Good to see that I'm capable of completing something. I also performed the dreaded task of replacing the knives in my old Delta 12" planer, did some major cleaning in the garage--uh, I mean, workshop, and bought some pine to make a new rack for my bar clamps.

Still undecided on what to do about a new workbench. But Monday's always easier to deal with when I feel good about what I got done over the weekend!

Mark

Mark Pruitt
03-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Rod, if that's a pulpit, what's the sermon title? "Get a Grip"??? groan...sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

larry merlau
03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
had a early start sat to get some permant lighting in the attic first along with a recept. for the big stuff next time i get to visit the attic:eek: then started puttin 5 recessed lights one for the hallway and 4 for the kitchen.. oh by the way swiming in fiberglass and cellouse insulation is great excercise.. made for a very big hungry and thirst. rerunning wire threw area's meant for squirels and small kids was a treat, really lookin forward to it again sometime:D but i got a big thanks from the better half and cherry pie to boot:D finished it up sunday afternoon.

Dave Richards
03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
I made good progress on the new gaff for the sailboat. Jaws are laminated oak and maple, the stick is pine built up in the birdsmouth method. No photos but here's a drawing I used to to figure out the dimensions for the jaws.

I also got to play with Ian, do some SketchUp tutoring, ate pancakes at a pancake breakfast and had some time to be lazy.

Joe Mioux
03-27-2006, 12:17 PM
After working all day Saturday, as ussual, I continued with my planter box.

This thing will be about 42" long by 18" wide and about 18" deep. Making it out of Cypress. The box will have recessed panels. M&T joinery. Lots of chisel and hand plane work going into this project.

Also, got the zero turn out, Nicholas wanted to cut grass. While he was finishing up, I took the four wheeler and spread some Weed and Feed with Baricade down. It is now raining. Great timing.

Joe

Maurice Metzger
03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
My wife and I spent a lot of the weekend finding out that projectile vomiting from a dog is a lot worse than projectile vomiting from a cat...

So my woodworking was limited to some sharpening and work on the knob and tote from a WWII era (type 17) number 5 plane. I sanded off the remnants of the black paint and stained them with some Van Dyck crystals.

- Maurice

Jim Hager
03-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Saturday I spent the day going with my LOML to Sam's and also fooling around at a few other places of business. Nothing major purchased just a bunch of groceries. Saturday afternoon I spent in the shop working on a mobile island for a kitchen project that I have going and I finished it up yesterday afternoon. Today I'm back at work after a week off for "spring break" The natives are a little wild today but what can you expect from a group of 8th and 9th graders:o

Tom A Walker
03-27-2006, 1:18 PM
I am very happy to say I actually spent the weekend doing stuff with tools. Saturday I actually spent the day making the mirror frame I've been planning. I got to the point where its cut and dry fitted. Some more nights this week should get it sanded and finished. the blow by blow is on my wood blog (http://www.tomandjaime.com/wood_blog/)

http://www.tomandjaime.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=839&g2_serialNumber=1

Sunday was more of a house stuff day but I managed to get a lot of stuff done that was on my to-do list.

*Edited to add photo for the picture police!

Pete Harbin
03-27-2006, 1:20 PM
Got two of the Herc-U-Lift caster systems installed, one on the band saw and another on the planer stand. A very welcome upgrade! I've still got two more (got them on sale at HD for $29.) I was thinking of installing one on the RAS, but I got to thinking over the weekend if I even want to keep it. It's a great saw, but I almost never use it. I am planning to put my new Jet VS Mini Lathe on a leg set and install one of the Hercs though. For something that's called mini, that bugger is heavy! I know, I know...2 minutes for gloating without a pic! I'll do my time on the box! I have the Ridgid sander on a leg set now, but it's a lot lighter than the lathe, so I'll have to find it a new home in the shop...or...buy...another...leg set...:rolleyes:

I just finalized plans for a clamp cart, but now I have to go back to the drawing board because I like Rod's cart better than mine. Yes, I plan to commit a little larceny here! :D Nice job Rod!

Dinner with friends on Saturday, Church on Sunday, and cheered the Stars on to victory over the Chicago Blackhawks (BARELY!) and the Calgary Flames...woo hoo! Mike Modano is only 15 goals away from 500!

Pete

Julio Navarro
03-27-2006, 1:54 PM
Worked on the cyclone, got some good progress. Took my son to his first day at football camp..hes been waiting for this for almost 6 months. He's already planning his football hall of fame acceptance speech.

Chip Olson
03-27-2006, 2:30 PM
Hey, I get to post something here for once.

Last weekend I got most of the crosscutting done on the 3/4" maple plywood for the kitchen cabinets, and sorted them by the width they needed to be ripped to (22" for bases, 11" for uppers). Saturday, I was therefore able to turn on the saw and run each batch through pretty much nonstop; took maybe 20 minutes including setup. Next I hauled out the sawhorse and old door I use for this purpose and made the preliminary cuts on the 1/4" lauan for the backs-- I don't have room to cut 8' sheet goods on the table saw, so the first cut gets done with the circular saw and an edge guide. Then out with the panel sled and I did a good part of the crosscutting. (I had been wondering if the time I spent building a foldout extension table and panel sled would actually be worth it; now I know.)

Sunday I finished cutting the back panels. These were several different widths, so I wasn't able to batch it up quite as efficiently. Also did a quick inventory of my scrap lumber (lots, after the foregoing) and determined that I had enough to build a drying rack for finishing the panels.

Next I need to build said drying rack and figure out how I'm getting finish on these things. Saturday morning I loaded the kidlet on my back and strolled over to my local Rockler, and asked a clerk about their $80 HVLP spraygun and turbine kit. His reply was "It's crap", which I kind of suspected, and who better to hear it from? :-)

Rod Torgeson
03-27-2006, 4:24 PM
Thanks Mark for the sermon title. However, I wish you hadn't done that, now I have to come up with the sermon. Just kidding.

Thanks Pete for the compliment. It is just sort of something I came up with. Got tired of stacking the clamps in the corner. After I use it awhile I may think of something I would have changed. It is 31 inches long and about 22 inches deep and about 36 inches high. I got the casters on sale at Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago and thought I better use them. If you want any more information PM me.

Rod<---in Appleton. WA

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-27-2006, 4:28 PM
Got a good start on the tile floor for the 1st floor bathroom: Pulled up the trim, floor and Luan; cleaned up the trim and reprimed it; put down the backer board, cut the tiles and layed them down. Man! it was hard to stand up straight after all that, thank goodness for ibuprofin (sp)!

Grouting tonight and reinstalling the hardware on tuesday, hope to have the trim back in on Wednesday.

Went to the Texas Roadhouse for steaks on Sunday, my daughter works there, saw the other daughter and SIL's new house.

Showed the boat to three people and sold it. Glad thats out of the way.

Have a great week everyone!

Mike

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 6:20 PM
Much of Saturday was spent moving junk around in the garage/shop to make a bit more room and to toss some unused junk. Net result was no more free space, but now I have a place to store the Ridgid MSUV for now (until I can mount the planer on it). I also found the wood top to my workbench/assembly table. It's been there all along...just wasn't visible due to all the stuff piled on it. The table is actually too low to use for many "workbench" tasks, but it provides a big horizontal surface that tends to get piled with stuff.

After the day's worth of straightening and organizing, I decided the finish I had started on a little paper towel holder project was not working out, so I scraped and sanded my way through the first attempt at finishing (including the stain). This "commission" is already behind schedule, so I figured if I'm going to make the poor lady wait for her paper towel holder, it might as well look good. It's looking better with a different shade of stain, and I hope to get the clear finish right this time.

Sunday was busy with other stuff, but I did spend a bit of time assembling the Ridgid Herc-U-Lift I bought last week with the intent of installing it on my Workmate (where a lot of my "workbench" tasks end up being done). I think I've got a way figured out to make it work. My TS has the Herc-U-Lift built in, and it's a great design, so when I learned the lift was on sale, I simply had to get one, even if I don't have one of the pieces of equipment listed as compatible with it. I'd barely be able to buy the casters alone for the price I bought the stand at HD ($29.00).

- Vaughn

Fred Voorhees
03-27-2006, 6:23 PM
A little bit of a few things this weekend. Got together with a fishing buddy Friday after work and took off for the 2 1/2 hr drive down to Cape May, NJ to my youngest brother Mark's house in preparation for a handful of hours of fishing on Saturday morning. Up at dawn, we hit the water at roughly 6:30 Sat. AM for five hours or so of Pickeral fishing. Having always been bass fishermen, we were anxious to learn the ins and outs of Pickeral fishing. Both are ambush type fish, so we weren't completely in the dark. Pickeral do not normally grow to immense sizes, but their ferocity in their strikes are what make them so desirable a fish to go after. Further below, my Brother and I with a sample of our days catch.

My fishing buddy needed to be back home Saturday night, so we boogied on home and I got some time in the shop, applying the second coat of Waterlox sealer to the seven picture frames that I am making for hanging in my bar room. Sunday morning it was the single coat of high gloss finish.

Spent a few hours with a handful of "the guys" taking in the NASCAR event Sunday afternoon (per our usual weekly ritual) and rounded out the week on Sunday night watching the continuing saga of The Sopranos and this new show Big Love.

Tom Peterson
03-27-2006, 6:35 PM
Finished up my cutlist of all of my cabinet parts finally! Used up five sheets of HPL and one third of a gallon of contact cement completing the parts for my wall cabinets. Assembled the pantry cabinet and microwave cabinets. Took in an indoor soccer game with the scouts (boys and girls) and finished a replacement transition strip in the hardwood floor.

Pete Harbin
03-27-2006, 6:51 PM
Thanks for the info Rod. I'll tinker with some stetches tonight when I get home.

Vaughn, be sure to check toward the back of the Herc-U-Lift manual. They have settings for almost every sized configuration you can think of for leg dimensions. Very well written.

Pete

Tyler Howell
03-27-2006, 6:58 PM
Thanks for the info Rod. I'll tinker with some stetches tonight when I get home.

Vaughn, be sure to check toward the back of the Herc-U-Lift manual. They have settings for almost every sized configuration you can think of for leg dimensions. Very well written.

Pete
Pete & Vaughn tell us more about the herc-u-lift
I Googled it and got nothing. Got any pix:confused:

Pete Harbin
03-27-2006, 7:03 PM
Tyler,

I'll snap some photos tonight when I get home. I've got my band saw, planer and table saw on Hercs now.

They're made by Ridgid. They're really easy to install on Ridgid tools, but almost any 4 legged tool stand could be outfitted by just tapping a few holes to accomadate it.

Pete

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 7:30 PM
...Vaughn, be sure to check toward the back of the Herc-U-Lift manual. They have settings for almost every sized configuration you can think of for leg dimensions. Very well written.

Pete
Yeah, I've been using that as a guide. The tricky part will be actually attaching it to the Workmate, or more specifically, making a base or frame to accomodate the legs/feet on the Workmate, then attaching the Herc-U-Lift to the base. I couldn't see a good way of attaching the lift directly to the legs of the Workmate. I think I've got an easy solution ising 2x lumber, but I'll know better when I get a little further along.

Tyler, here's a bit more info (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1455031951.1143505101@@@@&BV_EngineID=cchfaddhghijlgecgelceffdfgidgll.0&MID=9876) on the Herc-U-Lift. As I mentioned earlier, there's one built into my TS3650. I didn't realize until recently that they were available as a separate item, and for 30 bucks, I was willing to do some adaptation to make it work for my situation. The thing I like about it compared to other mobility kits I've got (Shop Fox and HTC) is the fact that all four wheels swivel, so you can turn the tool 360° in its tracks. Plus, no bending to raise or lower the tool, which is a bonus for me.

- Vaughn

Julio Navarro
03-27-2006, 8:32 PM
My TS has the Herc-U-Lift built in, and it's a great design, so when I learned the lift was on sale, I simply had to get one, even if I don't have one of the pieces of equipment listed as compatible with it. I'd barely be able to buy the casters alone for the price I bought the stand at HD ($29.00).

- Vaughn

Thats a great lift, I bought one for my Ridgid BS, its well worth the price.

Tom Hamilton
03-27-2006, 8:58 PM
Nice weather in Houston, so mowed (second time this week); went by the church bookstore and made sure all was ready for Sunday; then got a little shop time and started to figure out the Rockler Dove Tail Jig that Santa brought.

Saturday night we took the girls (granddaughters)to dinner and then home to showers, movie and bed.

Sunday after church LOML and I took a bike ride and watched the golf.

Family dinner Sunday night and weekend is a pleasant memory.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Best regards, Tom

Jim Hager
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
[quote=Dennis Peacock]Good Morning Everyone,

. Fortunately a local woodworker that I recently met, Rick de Rogue. Really great guy with a shop so organized that I stood in awe of his organizational skills reflected by his shop. Anyway, I was able to get some walnut lumber from him and this will go for the legs of this computer desk.

quote]

I had the pleasure of meeting Rick a bit over a week ago too Dennis. He and his wife drove up here to get my Delta 18-36 drum sander that I had for sale. Really nice guy. My shop probably bothered him some if he is that well organized. I'm a slob and had the shop in a terrible mess when they showed up. Great guy, glad I got to meet him.

Steven Wilson
03-28-2006, 1:15 AM
Well, we went looking at houses on Saturday and while we were out a new reelseat for a rod I'm building showed up in the mail. Well, I spent part of Sunday gluing up the seat components and glued up some cork rings. Tonight I turned the cork handle and got the reelseat and handle installed on the blank. Once I receive the winding check and a custom decal then I can start in on inlaying Jungle Cock feathers. In the meantime I better get busy and wrap the guides

Dave Fifield
03-28-2006, 5:11 AM
I changed the leaky water pump on my wife's minivan, put some more coats of finish on a couple of wood projects, did a bit of design for a new project (a kind of mini chest of drawers with a specific function in mind), and spent a happy couple of hours progressing a marquetry picture I have been doing on and off for months. Oh, and someone gave me a 'flu bug last Thursday, so I was feeling miserable for much of the weekend.