PDA

View Full Version : Custom frames for your mirror questions?

Josh Goldsmith
03-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Have any of you ever made a frame for your mirrors in your bathrooms? I am flipping a house and thought about dressing up the bathrooms a little more. I have an idea on how i think i should build it. The mirrors are all fairly large. There about 55"x35" so i think i need to make sure the joints are all nice and strong. Any comments or pics of something similar would be appreciated.

Brian Parker
03-27-2006, 6:53 AM
wowzers thats a big mirror there! I would make the srame at least 2" wide and install somthing like eyebolts or some Drings on the back side of the bottom and top and then get some of that picture frame wire and weave it through in a zig zag pattern to help keep it from sagging in the centers and also help take some of the load off of the corners. I'm at work now but if you want I can proab sketch you up something quick in a picture format.

Scott Fernald
03-27-2006, 6:59 AM
Leave the mirrors in-place. Replace the bulky decorative clips with some flat metal ones and build a frame to wrap the large mirror as it sits on the wall. Just rabbit the bottom to clear the mirror depth and clips and leave enough overhang to tack it in place with finish nails into studs (plenty strong enough if it's not carrying the glass load).

Particularly for a house you're going to flip, this dresses up the edges of the mirrors and doesn't have you handling large pieces of glass.

Just a thought!

Scott

Mark Singer
03-27-2006, 7:51 AM
Here is an old thread of mine with a detail...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=6559&highlight=mirror

Matt Meiser
03-27-2006, 9:03 AM
I agree-leave them in place and build a frame around them since they are so big. I'm currently building a frame for a 1/8" thick 24x36 mirror and am just using pocket screws and glue for all the joints, but that's a lot lighter mirror than what you have.

Josh Goldsmith
03-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I liked you mirror Mark! Good Job! I thought about what you said Matt and Scott and just build a frame around it but that sounds too easy. I want to challenge my self. I know that sounds stupid but i try to always build as nice as i can without taking shortcuts. I thought about a frame around 2" with a nice 3/16 corner beading, then cut a grove so the mirrors fits in (like a raised panel fits), put the mirror in, and put in a recessed bowtie to give the corner some strength and keep it from seperating. I hope that makes sence.

Hey brian i don't think i understand your way. Can you elaborate! Thanks for your help!

Oh' i almost forgot. The frame will be made out of maple.

Doug Jones from Oregon
03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I just completed two frames for ceramic tiles ( I would imagine about the same weight as your mirror). I made them out of 2" wide oak with a daddo machined in the inside edge which holds the backer board in place upon which to attach the tile. The corners are mitred, glued, v-nailed, and have a pocket screw in each corner. They are NOT going to come apart.

For hanging, I recommend my customer place the appropriate size picture hanging hardware to the side rails of the frame. This way the weight is supported from the sides, not the top rail which could bow under the weight.

These frames were 4X6 and 3X7. Sorry, no pictures, the customers was anxious and was here the day they came out of the finish room leaving me no time for a picture. He has promised pictures of the finished product.

Doug

Todd Reinbold
03-27-2006, 2:54 PM
I'm in the process of making one right now out of walnut for a 36 by 60 inch mirror for our bathroom. I'm making it 3 inches wide and using a mortise and tenon joint. I'll be anchoring it into studs in 6 places just to be sure.
Todd

Josh Goldsmith
03-27-2006, 3:36 PM
When you said anchoring it into 6 studs do you mean screw it through the frame to the stud? Thanks Todd

Todd Reinbold
03-29-2006, 9:30 PM
Yep, through the frame into the studs. I haven't figured out how to make that look decent yet. I'll post a picture in a few days when its done. I just put the first coat of oil on tonight. sorry it took so long to get back to you.
Todd