PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Project part IV

Julio Navarro
03-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Well, Sunday night rolls around mighty quick now a days.

I accomplished more than I had planned on my cyclone project, which is a good thing. I was able to form all the components. I think I got good round shapes although the 22ga sheet steel is very thick and hard to roll. If I had to do it all over I would go with 24ga or else have the parts rolled by machine somewhere and pay the extra cost. My elbow is very sore from manhandling the sheet steel, or should I say from the sheet steel manhandling me!

Here are a few pictures of the cone, the ramp exhaust, the intake 'tunnel' and the main body of the cyclone, the main body is white 'cos it still has the paper templet on it. It will come off tomorrow.

The cone, ramp exhaust and intake tunnel:

Main cyclone cylinder:

The air ramp exhaust 'button hole' welded. I still dont like how my welds are comming out, I blew a hole right through two welds. Not sure how I am going to fix them but I suppose I will figure something out:
You can kinda see the hole and the lifting of the joint.

Bending the intake tunnel. The break worked perfect!

Monday I plan on preparing all the peices for welding which I will most likely do on Tuesday. I also plan on practicing some more welding on scrap peices. I seem to spatter alot and the wire feed feels like it is pulling and not feeding smoothly so I have lots to look into. Taking the peices to a welder is still an option. If I cant get good welds I think I would rather have someone who knows how do it. No sense in ruining the work

Norman Hitt
03-27-2006, 5:20 AM
Hey, you're coming right along there, Julio. Looking good too. Sounds like you may have to do a little tweaking on the welder though. A good welder, working properly sure makes a difference. A couple of yrs ago my Buddy bought a small Sears wire welder, and three of us tried it several times and never got one decent weld with it. It got stolen later and about a month ago he bought a new Miller 115v wire welder, and after laying about a 3 inch bead, all three of us were making beautiful welds, (and neither of us had ANY previous experience with wire welders, only Stick welders, and that had been quite a few years back). Hang in there, and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.