PDA

View Full Version : Ash and Walnut Box

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 9:58 PM
Well turned a box today that I had glued together yesterday with Gorilla glue. That stuff is pretty tough. Anyway glued some ash and walnut together just to see what turning a box out of something glued would be like. Well it turned out pretty good. I love the combo. This is by far the best I have did including a suction fit lid. The others I have did were fair but this one just kinda pops when you take of the lid. This one is 4 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" in diameter. Finished with Triple E, Mylands Friction Polish and Renissance Wax.

Anyway the second one is just a small box. Made from scraps of walnut and honey locust. Tried a different shape. It is 2" by 2 1/2". Finished with Triple E and Mylands Friction polish. Let me know what you think.

Robert Mickley
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Sweet Bernie, love the contrasting colors

Barry Stratton
03-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Awesome job Bernie! I see segmented bowls and vahse's in your near future!

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Bernie, you knocked it out of the park again! Nice job. The constrasting woods look great and are a nice touch. I really like the little ones shape as well. Looks like they get nicer each time around buddy! Keep up the good work!
Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Nice box Bernie!

Glenn Hodges
03-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Good combination of wood and form makes for a beautiful piece.

John Timberlake
03-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Like the boxes and the contrast between the two woods. Never turned any honey locust before, but it looks really nice in the picture. How was it to turn?

Mark Cothren
03-26-2006, 10:59 PM
I like 'em Bernie! Nice boxes and I also like the contrasting wood.

Thanks for the pictures!

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for all the comments. The bigger one is the nicest I have did thus far. I was tickled with it.

John the honey locust dried is a pretty hard wood. Even with a sharp tool the shavings get pretty warm.

Mike Ramsey
03-27-2006, 9:16 AM
Nice Bernie! Your a turning Machine!!

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 9:41 AM
Sheeesh...First there's Lee with his Cherrnut wood out in Cali and now, I come to find out that there's Ashnut in Kansas!!! You guys are lucky, as wel don't have anything like that around in PackerLand! :D Hey, really nice job on both boxes, Bernie! I do like the contrast and you've got one up on me, as I've never been able to get any of my boxes to "Pop"!!!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
03-27-2006, 9:47 AM
Sheeesh...First there's Lee with his Cherrnut wood out in Cali and now, I come to find out that there's Ashnut in Kansas!!! You guys are lucky, as wel don't have anything like that around in PackerLand! :D Hey, really nice job on both boxes, Bernie! I do like the contrast and you've got one up on me, as I've never been able to get any of my boxes to "Pop"!!!:) :cool:

John - Couldn't you find some decent turning stock in one of those Cheeselogs? Seems like indiginous species is the "in" thing these days.

Keith Burns
03-27-2006, 2:29 PM
Bernie, those are great looking boxes for sure :) Like the wood combination and finish as well. Keep it up!!!

Michael Stafford
03-27-2006, 5:43 PM
I humbly surrender the title of "Box Master" to you sir! I will once again reassume the throne of honorary wood bludgeoner and sawdust creator.

Nice work, Bernie. I love it.:D

Ed Scolforo
03-27-2006, 5:46 PM
Bernie, Great looking boxes. The woods are very complimentary.

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2006, 6:22 PM
No, no big Mike you still have that title and throne. I am just a wannabe big Mike. I do love making those boxes and they get easier after every one I do.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Jim Dunn
03-27-2006, 6:23 PM
Very nice Bernie. I like the contrasting woods.