PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID & what sizes to mill into

Hank Keller
03-26-2006, 7:08 PM
This probably classifies as a gloat: A friend has given me 30 downed trees the largest being a 24" diameter 20' long maple. Along with ash, cherry, and sycamore there are 5 logs which I am not sure what they are. They are dark in the center and are at the top of the pile on the picture attached. Anyone know what they may be? Walnut??

Also, based on the size and quantity of what I have, what would you suggest I get these logs milled into? 4/4? 5/4? 8/4? Larger??

I plan to eventually make furniture, workbenches, cutting boards, flooring, etc. I'm a hobbiest who is just starting out and have recently purchased a Grizzly cabinet saw and have a Rikon 18" TS for resawing capabilities.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hank

Richard Wolf
03-26-2006, 7:30 PM
Nice pile of lumber. The dark wood could be walnut. I would have the logs milled into a selection of thicknesses so you have lots of choices down the road.
I would also look into building a solar kiln to help dry the lumber. I lack the patience to wait for air dried lumber. At least 2 years for 8/4.

Richard

Jim Becker
03-26-2006, 8:15 PM
Looks like black walnut to me. BTW, watch out for that "shouting tree" in the foreground....it can be a little pithy.... :D

lou sansone
03-26-2006, 8:25 PM
the dark heart wood is walnut. looks like some soft maple on the bottom with a pretty dark heart. that will not be very usefully, so use it for paint grade material. definitely get them milled into a variety of thicknesses. You will find that a judicious variety of thicknesses will be usefully in the future. I would probably stop at 12/4 unless you have something in mind that need 16/4. The wider material should probably be in 4/4. It looks like you have a lot of light colored wood such as ash. I would recommend using dry stickers for the lighter colored woods to avoid sticker stain. If you haven't dried wood before I would be cautious about any method other than air drying to start with. many a load has been ruined by drying too quickly, the exception is oak, which benefits from quick drying.

best wishes
Lou