PDA

View Full Version : You have to be able to laugh at yourself,,,

George Conklin
03-26-2006, 5:18 PM
if you're going to do this spinny stuff. And, buy yourself a moisture meter.

So, I finally have a day off to myself and I'm going to do some turning. I check my turning stock and find a piece of Ambrosia Maple I bought from my local turning stuff store. That should be just fine. While I'm turning this blank, I'm getting these beautiful long curls.
I think to myself, wow! What a wonderful piece of wood. A little more turning, I figure it's not the wood, but the tool must be really sharp. This is really fun! This is what turning is all about. I'm really having a blast now making a really big pile of curls.

I should probaly check my depth before I get carried away here.

Oooops! Too late!

Now how did this bowl get out of round! It wasn't twenty minutes earlier.:D

Moral of this story.
Not all wood blanks sold at the local turning stuff store are not always as dry as they claim.

LOML didn't care. She want's it anyway:) .
34945 34946

Andy Hoyt
03-26-2006, 5:52 PM
George - Looks good. Look even better after you continue that thickness throughout the piece. Oy!

Glenn Hodges
03-26-2006, 6:02 PM
George I have been turning over 6 years and while finishing the bottom of a bowl last week I did the same thing....but don't tell all these SMC people.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 6:06 PM
George I understand and feel for you!

Hey Glenn misery love company!........I was just putting the finishes on my very first box..........I thought I was doing pretty good! One small slip of a skew turned a good box into a better egg holder! Either way.....it's still my first!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 9:37 PM
George that is about as bad as buying wet lumber and it is like almost bone dry and hard as concrete. I made a funnel of Elm the other day. I cut the whole bottom out and glued a piece back in its place. Havent turned it yet but may be ok.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-26-2006, 9:41 PM
No problem, George. You can save it.

Just make it a "Footed" bowl. The warping adds character.

Bruce

Jim Dunn
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
In one of the Raffan books I bought he turned a small platter green and let it warp intentionally. Added character to it he said.

Great looking bowl George.

Keith Burns
03-27-2006, 2:25 PM
What we have here is a design opportunity:D Looks good to me:)