PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi Router table set-up

Jerry Crawford
03-26-2006, 5:11 PM
I acquired a NIB Ryobi 3HP variable speed plunge router at an auction a couple of years ago with the intent of mounting it under the extension table of my table saw. I now have time and money to do the work and install this thing. Does anyone know of a brand of fixtures that will fit this router so I can drop it into the table? Thanks

Vaughn McMillan
03-26-2006, 5:54 PM
Jerry, by "fixtures" I'm assuming the plate onto which the router mounts in the table. I don't know the model number for your router, but I did see Woodpeckers (www.woodpeck.com) has a plate for the Ryobi 600.

HTH -

- Vaughn

Todd Davidson
03-26-2006, 6:11 PM
Hi Jerry~

I'm currently using a Ryobi 6000RE (3HP) in my table (a decent machine- and night and day from Ryobi's offerings these days). I bought a blank Rosseau Plate and drilled for mine. The Router Raizer comes with instructions on how to install it with the 6000RE if you're contemplating above table adjustments. As Vaughn noted, Woodpecker makes a plate predrilled for the 6000RE as well.

In Peace, Todd

Jerry Crawford
03-26-2006, 6:32 PM
Yeah - mine is the 600-re also. I haven't had it out of the box yet - it's been three years since I picked it up ($160.00). Previous owner still had the sales ticket taped to the box where he paid $219.95 at Woodworkers Warehouse in Rochester NH, April 12, 1995.

Anyhow - much obliged for the info

Jerry Crawford
03-27-2006, 7:01 PM
I sent off a note to Woodpecker asking about matching up my router with their product. I got back a less than satisfactory reply that told me I "may" what to "try" - then he gave a model number. I'm not so sure he was confident that the items he suggested will fit. Are there any other outfits making these things (router lifts and plates)

Todd Davidson
03-27-2006, 8:56 PM
Hi Jerry~

Seems there aren't as many router plates available predrilled for the Ryobi RE-600 anymore. I think the Rockler plate (item #) 23134 is; and a Google search turned up a company called Oakpark that has one. Woodpecker used to but I couldn't find it tonight. I believe the RE-600 has the same mounting pattern as the 3hp Craftsman routers (which are made by Ryobi). Drilling a blank plate isn't that bad. Make a carboard template first if you're nervous about going straight to the plate with the drill.

The Router Raizer and Woodpecker's "Unlift" are the only two that I'm aware of that will host the Ryobi RE-600.

Good luck with your search. I was planning on replacing the Ryobi RE-600 in my table with a PC 7539 that I acquired last year but never did as the Ryobi has yet to let me down, so IMHO it's worth finding a good plate and lift for it.

In peace, Todd

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2006, 9:12 PM
I believe the RE-600 has the same mounting pattern as the 3hp Craftsman routers (which are made by Ryobi).Yup: I've got a 1996-vintage Craftsman plunger and a 2004 or so RE600, same hole pattern.

Jerry Crawford
03-27-2006, 9:17 PM
Thank you gent's - now that I have more info I can go do a better job of shopping.

Lee - I about fell out of my chair reading your post scripts - "the three most important words" brought a whole cascade of recalled images from my time attending The SE Asian School for Conflict Resolution. ;)

Jerry Crawford
03-27-2006, 9:57 PM
There seems to be a huge cost difference between these two accessories that essentially do the same thing. The Uni certainly look more robust and well machined.

I don't do A LOT of routing so I'm wondering if springing for the Woodpecker item is all that much better than the lower cost Raizer? I'm going to drop this into the TS extension which means I'll need a template and cutter too.

Todd Davidson
03-28-2006, 6:11 AM
Hi Jerry ~

Research both options. Search this forum - lots of previous discussions on lifts. Amazon often has good deals on the Raizer (seems they were around $50 recently). My shop sees sporatic heavy use and the Router Raizer holds up and has done its job well.

In peace, Todd