PDA

View Full Version : CA Glue

Christopher K. Hartley
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I need a little help on this. I'm ready to get some CA glue but don't know what I need to stock or how much. I also would appreciate any hints on the best place to purchase it at the best price. I looked for a link in the Creek but didn't find one. I probably missed it. Thanks Guys.

John Timberlake
03-26-2006, 1:06 PM
For gluing pieces together or filling gaps, I use medium to higher viscosity glue. For stabilizing soft wood, use the thin stuff. And you will need some accelerator so you don't have to wait so long.

Gary Max
03-26-2006, 2:15 PM
WHat are you wanting to do with the CA?----that will help answer the question.

Robert E Lee
03-26-2006, 6:00 PM
Your are looking for Monty.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 9:43 PM
Christopher I keep 3 types of CA in stock and get it from woodcraft or which ever has it on sale or the best price. I get the thin, medium and thick. Definately get the accelerator. That way you don't have to stand around and wait. All three have there uses and are handy to have. Today I filled one crack in a box with medium and sanded. Filled the crack right up. I then had a smaller crack and did the same thing.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-27-2006, 7:12 AM
Thanks everyone, I think this answers my questions.:D

Mike Ramsey
03-27-2006, 8:47 AM
Chris, If you only buy one make it the thin, you will need it more than
any other. Also I have medium, haven't found a need for thick yet.
Also when you buy it store it in you freezer it'll last a long time that way.

John Strait
03-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Also when you buy it store it in you freezer it'll last a long time that way.

Mike,

Is there any problem thawing it and refreezing or any other pointers a person should be aware of?

Thanks,
john

Greg Savage
03-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Mike,

Is there any problem thawing it and refreezing or any other pointers a person should be aware of?

Thanks,
john

I have had CA in the freezer for many years with no noticable deterioration....It doesn't really freeze.

Go to a hobby store to buy CA in larger bottles....up to 8oz for about $16

Mike Ramsey
03-27-2006, 12:20 PM
Mike,

Thanks,
john

John, no problems at all. It doesn't freeze, I just go to the freezer
to refill my little bottle when I need it.

Kurt Forbes
03-27-2006, 12:28 PM
I like useing thick as part of the finish for my pens. Thick gel type CA and some BLO rubbed into a pen makes for a nice finish.
Either gel type or brush on krazy glue work great as a pen finish.
I only use the thinner stuff to stop cracks or reinforce a soft spot.

John Strait
03-27-2006, 1:53 PM
I have had CA in the freezer for many years with no noticable deterioration....It doesn't really freeze.

Go to a hobby store to buy CA in larger bottles....up to 8oz for about $16

That is what I wanted to hear. I had been reluctant to purchase quantities larger than a couple of ounces, because I have heard it does not have a good shelf life. I will give the freezer a try.

Thanks,
john

Steve Culbertson
03-27-2006, 1:56 PM
What's BLO?

John Strait
03-27-2006, 1:57 PM
What's BLO?

Boiled Linseed Oil

Steve Culbertson
03-27-2006, 2:33 PM
Thanks TMI (Too Many Initials, not to be confused with Too Much Information, which is a good thing:))

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2006, 6:33 PM
When I have a crack in a bowl or box I like using the thick CA and force it in the crack and then take sand paper to sand till it is dry. Fills the crack and like on the spalted maple box I did this weekend you can only see one crack because it was pretty big. The others you can't even tell they are there.