PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #40 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Sunday March 26th, 2006

Took a ride up this morning to see how much Rob & Sean accomplished yesterday. All the hickory flooring is down. Kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room will be done by someone else starting tomorrow.

The cabinets are in and most of the doors are hung. I'm going to try for a panorama look starting with the breakfast bar.
34922 34923
Breakfast bar Dishwasher and Kitchen sink

34925 34926
Stove will go to the left of The empty spot is for the fridge
this set.

This reminded LOML of a bear claw. Her mom was part of the Ho-Chunk bear clan.

The cabinets really exceed my expectations. The quality of construction is quite good. I think the cabinet folks did a pretty good job of selecting the hickory to show off it's beauty.

More in the next post.

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Continuing Update #40

They also got the bathroom cabinets in and as I said most of the doors.

Master bath. The bath cabinets in both baths are maple and are not of the same quality as the kitchen. Different manufacturer. They will be fine for the bathrooms though.

Main Bath

Here's a shot of what the doors look like.
The doors were supposed to painted, but after seeing them I decided to just have them varnished. The skins are birch and each door has some nice grain patterns that I think will look really nice once highlighted by the varnish.

It's going to be a pretty busy week again. Bathroom floors, master bath shower tile and whirlpool tile, kitchen floor and then Rob & Sean back to finish hanging doors and do all the trim work. Counter tops are to be measured on Tuesday. We might even get a sidewalk poured. That would be real nice so we can keep the mud and sand off the floors.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Karl

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Ooops! Almost forgot these pictures.

34931 34932

Thanks to Canada for some great wood. :cool: :)

Karl

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:47 PM
To all who suggested a bash for the workers and GC, I'm going to try and put something together.

Thanks for the idea.

Karl

Jim O'Dell
03-26-2006, 2:07 PM
Really nice, Karl. I do believe you are going to beat the 4/15 move in date! Hey if the weather is nice enough, break out the grill, go to Sam's and get the premade hamburger patties, and maybe some of the hot links, put on a pot of BBQ beans, have some chips and drinks, and have a little party! If all the guys can't get there a the same time, maybe pick a day and do it from say 11:00 to 2:00 and maybe they could leave the jobs they are on for a little while for lunch. They do have to eat afterall! We do that about once a quarter or so at work.
Keep the updates coming. It's almost like being there to see the progress in person! Jim.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 3:49 PM
Karl..........I've said from the very first post on this thread........It's going great guns and you have one fantastic contractor! Congrats!

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 3:27 AM
Karl..........I've said from the very first post on this thread........It's going great guns and you have one fantastic contractor! Congrats!
I'll just echo Ken...these guys are blazing. You sure picked a gem of a contractor.

- Vaughn

Ray Bersch
03-27-2006, 9:01 AM
As a comparison of your builder's speed, Karl, listen to this - on my way to the office there is a house that was started last October and has worked its way through completion in fits and starts - but it looks pretty well finished, and has for several weeks, except for the grading of the small front yard. So as I drive by each day, I think of you and the progress you are making. On Thursday I took a long look at the house, and yep, its complete - why then, is it not occupied and why is the front yard not yet graded? Then on Friday as I passed, well, you see, the gas company was at the curb - installing the gas line. Typical for NJ.

I am sure the yard will be graded this week.

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 9:28 AM
Nice, Karl. And I agree...a little "appreciation" for the folks who have been doing a bang-up job is certainly in order at the end of the project...you're own "Wrap Party", as they call it on TOH!

Ray, it just took my township four weeks to send out a fellow...for ten minutes...to do a pre-approval for a driveway application to the State. I can only imagine what it's going to be like once we start the addition, should we discover we can actually afford it or something like that! (Fortunately, we don't need a new gas line... ;) )

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 9:54 AM
Karl, while I understand having some type of "snack area" in the shop, a full fledged kitchen is just a tad overboard, isn't it??? :confused: :eek: Dang, I just hope you have some $$$ left over when it comes time to build the house or the LOYL may get a bit irritated!!! :D Good progress, though. I'm still waiting to see the routes for the dust collection and such. You keep deviding things up into seperate rooms and you're going to have to trade that Oneida up for their BIG unit!!! :D :cool:

Ray Bersch
03-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Ray, it just took my township four weeks to send out a fellow...for ten minutes...to do a pre-approval for a driveway application to the State. I can only imagine what it's going to be like once we start the addition, should we discover we can actually afford it or something like that! (Fortunately, we don't need a new gas line... ;) )

Oh yea, and wait 'till someone suggests that your home is a historical building - THEN try to put on an addition!

Jerry Olexa
03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
As Spring said, that is one SPECTACULAR Shop!! The floor and cabinets are too nice for a shop.. Seriously tho, Karl, glad its going so well for you. You all deserve a break and rest when this is over. That is after the grand opening party...:D

Jim Becker
03-27-2006, 2:10 PM
Oh yea, and wait 'till someone suggests that your home is a historical building - THEN try to put on an addition!
Fortunately, only a portion of it would qualify if it qualified...which it doesn't due to lack of documentation/registration. But the stone portion is likely original as a mid-1700s outbuilding/hired hand domicile for the Paxton estate which was deeded to that family by William Penn "a long time ago". The same mason did a lot of the stone structures around here, according to a gal that stopped by a few years ago looking for some limestone for an addition to their house. (Our stone walls bordering the property are virtually all limestone)

Around here, plumbing is the big focus...the twp only requires independent inspection for electrical, but is all over plumbing like a fly on jelly toast. ;)