PDA

View Full Version : A turner worth looking at.

John Shuk
03-26-2006, 9:13 AM
I was at the Woodworkers Showcase in Saratoga Springs, New York yesterday. I go every year and it is hosted by what I think is one of the best woodworking clubs around, The Northeast Woodworkers Association. WWW.Woodworker.org . If you live in the Adirondack region they are well worth checking out. I alas am too far away to be a member. Back to the point. I had the opportunity to meet and learn from Johannes Michelson for a couple of hours. If you have seen his work in magazines or online let me tell you it is even more impressive in person. I watched him make on of his signature hats in no time flat. He also has a very nice way of presenting his knowledge and sharing what he knows. He reinforces what I already know to be true. That woodturners tend to be very generous and open about their knowledge and discoveries. I just wanted to share about my experience meeting the guy. Check him out at WWW.woodhat.com . I'm in no way connected.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 9:35 AM
John...Interestingly enough, I got to see some of his turnings at the museum in Moscow Idaho yesterday. Your absolutely correct.....great artist.....beautiful turnings!

Don Orr
03-28-2006, 1:45 PM
Hey John, wish I could have met you. I was there both days in the turning demo area turning tops to give to kids and I did a lecture demo each day as well. I'm a member and have been helping with this show for several years. There is an NWA chapter in the Mid-Hudson area. Is that in your neighborhood? Great bunch of folks. And yes, Michelson puts on a real nice demo.

Raymond Overman
03-28-2006, 2:06 PM
Johannes is a fun guy to talk to. I met him at the American Craft Council show in Charlotte this past year. We stood around and talked for at least 30 minutes. He's very personable and loves to show you his work of course.

He was blunt and to the point about some other turners selling wares that are similar to his. He's not happy about it, but he said there's nothing he can do. He sells a DVD too.

His work is definitely beyond masterful. Hats with curled brims that are life size and wearable and light as a feather thin.

John Shuk
03-28-2006, 4:57 PM
Don,
I make a point to go to the Showcase every year. I have a few friends who go to the Mid-Hudson meeting but it is still pretty far for me. Joe Kennedy, Matt Clark, and Carl Ford all belong. I even had a small hand in the fantasy city that was in the showcase. It was nice to see it there. I guess I'll see you at the symposium in the fall.
John
By the way I lived on Union Ave. in Schenectady for about a year. I met alot of great folks up that way.