PDA

View Full Version : First Weed Pot

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Okay guys.........You started this whole thing with The Bomb......then I'm begging for tools.........starting contests for excuses for new tools......In the meantime while you folks expect return on your investments......my CFO is looking out for your investment and hers too! Here's what she wanted........my first weedpot.............she's claimed it......it's headed for her desk at school and..........she said she know's where some of the Christmas gifts are coming from next Christmas.......I guess I'd better get started......She's so doggone generous!

Seriously she did claim it........Here's my first weedpot.....glued up 3x3 poplar finished with 2 light coats of friction polish and followed by the Beall Buff system......give me your opinions please!

Barry Stratton
03-26-2006, 1:03 AM
Excellent job Ken! That will look right nice on your wife's desk.

Lee DeRaud
03-26-2006, 1:04 AM
"Weed pot"...dude, isn't that, like, redundant?:cool:

Rich Stewart
03-26-2006, 1:14 AM
Dat's a weed pot alright. Nice job. My wife likes them too.

David Fried
03-26-2006, 1:24 AM
Geeze Ken, I take a day off and you get ahead of me!! :eek:
Nice job! :D

Yup, looks like a weed pot. Now you need to turn a few pens to put on her desk, and ....

Dave Fried

Gary Max
03-26-2006, 4:55 AM
Real good looking Weed Pot Ken----the extra time spent adding the detail work really is a nice touch. Hope you signed and dated the bottom.

Christopher K. Hartley
03-26-2006, 5:54 AM
Real nice Ken, I like the detail work as well. You're ahead of me on Weed Pots.

Chris Barton
03-26-2006, 6:43 AM
What's all this talk about "weed" and "pot," it is just a lovely little vahse!

John Hart
03-26-2006, 7:43 AM
Hey Ken....I just got to thinking...If the CFO is watching the books, and you are making all the Christmas gifts this year, I think you ought to keep a record of all the money you're going to save by not buying cheese logs and sweaters......Could be $$thousands$$$;)

Jim Becker
03-26-2006, 9:07 AM
Very nice job on that weed pot, Ken!

Jim Dunn
03-26-2006, 9:34 AM
Real nice Ken. Now don't fill it up and smoke it. Oh wait you quit. Good for you.

Ed Scolforo
03-26-2006, 9:35 AM
Looks good, Ken!

Robert Mickley
03-26-2006, 9:39 AM
Personally I pull my weeds and toss em, now some petunias would look good in there. Since its such a purty lil thing.

John's right, keep track of all that money you save making Christmass gifts. Thats money that can be spent on tools :D

Tyler Howell
03-26-2006, 9:51 AM
Ken, Ken , Ken :( :( :( .
How Low can you go:confused:

Andy Hoyt
03-26-2006, 9:53 AM
I've never chucked something up and said, "This will be a weed pot".

That said, I've converted tons of just about other form imaginable into weed pots simply by putting steel to wood.

Well Done, Ken!

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Ken you did a wonderful job on your vahse. My first one is one the SWMBO's desk a work with flowers in it. Great work Ken.

Curt Fuller
03-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Nice weed pot Ken. One day when you're doing a demo at the AAW national symposium you'll pull a few of these 'firsts' out and show all the kids where it all started.

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Nice work Ken, it looks great. Weed pots and boxes and small stuff like that is something I want to do.
Ken, how did you drill the whole? Did you turn it and then drill the whole or drill the whole use a jam chuck like Gary Max posted and then turn it. Very nice, there are all kinds of shapes you can do with weed pots or bud vases as they say!
Corey

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Looks really good Ken. :cool:

You glued up some poplar? I see segmented turnings coming verrrry soooon. :)

Karl

Jim Ketron
03-26-2006, 1:14 PM
Nice Job Ken!
The form is very pleasing to the eye.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 1:17 PM
Corey.........I followed a Richard Raffan video. I rounded the blank......squared the end......made a shoulder for the chuck. Chucked it and used a 3/8" spindle gouge on the rest to bore the hole.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 1:20 PM
Ken, Ken , Ken :( :( :( .
How Low can you go:confused:

Tyler.....I can only go to about 4 1/4" when I bore the hole in the weed pot using the spindle gouge......Then I run out of gouge!:D

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 1:33 PM
Excellent Ken, that is great. I don't have that video but I have watched the Woodcraft one where they do it that way. It's a great piece.

Corey

Dennis Peacock
03-26-2006, 5:19 PM
Well Ken....leave it up to you to figger out how to turn "pot". :p :rolleyes:

Very nice on the turning. So....how long you been turning now? 1 year?:D

Joe Mioux
03-26-2006, 8:47 PM
Ken: very nice.

No need for weeds, that deserves some fresh flowers!:)

Joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-26-2006, 9:24 PM
Very nice and symetrical. I like the "Clean" look to it.

Bruce

Mark Cothren
03-26-2006, 9:31 PM
Nice work Ken! Looks great!

Thanks for the picture!

Keith Burns
03-27-2006, 2:34 PM
Very nice work Ken. Nice form and finish. Looks like all the money you're spending hasn't gone to waste !!:)

John Miliunas
03-27-2006, 3:04 PM
"Weed pot"...dude, isn't that, like, redundant?:cool:

I've got a running tally for Andy on Windex which he already owes me and now I'm going to have to start one up for you too!!!! "Redundant" indeed!!! :eek: :D :D :D

Ken, great job!!! Looks to me like you'll be a busy man right up until Christmas!!! :) Hey, you gonna' have time to finish building your shop????:eek: :confused: :cool:

Jim Ketron
03-27-2006, 5:09 PM
Ken, if you have some forstner bits and a jacobs chuck for your lathe, it will make quick work on holes for weed pots.;)
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2006, 5:20 PM
Jim........I have forstner bits but I don't have a jacobs chuck for the lathe yet. ..........I probably won't be asking for one for a while either. I'm into a lot of tools this month!:D

Lee DeRaud
03-27-2006, 6:19 PM
I have forstner bits but I don't have a jacobs chuck for the lathe yet. ..........I probably won't be asking for one for a while either. I'm into a lot of tools this month!:DThat one is almost noise-level, considering the price of most turning stuff:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42340

$9.99...I think mine was a buck or two less than that in-store, may have been on sale.