PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Turning off the mini.......

Barry Stratton
03-25-2006, 11:35 PM
You guys are right, this is fun!

Cobbled together a "table" for the lathe, then found a piece of walnut formerly destined for 3D scrollsaw work and hacked away practicing for the upcoming goblet contest. While the chuck was just ordered, I did the best I could between centers. My 6 yo daughter was enthralled by the whole process so she ended up spending more time turning then me (under real close supervision). Mine is the one on the left, her two are on the right. All unsanded. She Danish oiled mine for me, got to love a kid like that!

The grinder showed up also, so I unboxed, put together, and immediately oop'sed the 3/8 spindle gouge. Forgot the "light cuts" advice I've read here many times. Reground it with my own brand of angle and it worked just fine. Skew, bowl gouge, and parting tool were a piece of cake to sharpen - what a difference as well! Wondering if I really need the "still in the box" Wolverine jig???

Oh yeah, the 6 y.o.'s favorite? The 3/4 skew.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/bearfretworks/2ndturning600x450.jpg

John Hart
03-25-2006, 11:48 PM
WOW! Rock-n-Roll!!! Nice to get her involved Barry. Now the fun begins.:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Barry my kids are gone now. It is great when the kids come out and get involved. Especially when it is dad. Enjoy it while you can cause they grow up and are gone before you know it. Glad to see she is getting involved.

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 11:59 PM
Hey! Barry's all alone up there in his very own time zone. As I recall it's 8 hours beyond Adak or something.

Anyway, I nominate Barry's kid for a belated First Place award in the Bonker Contest .

Curt Fuller
03-26-2006, 12:29 AM
I'll second that and that's one fine looking photo backdrop too!

Chris Barton
03-26-2006, 6:57 AM
Great start! Keep up the good work

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 10:17 AM
Good looking stuff Barry, I think yah both did great there!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Looking good Barry!.....Your daughters work..........well.....I think we have another somewhat belated winner for the Bonkers for Bonkers contest!

Barry Stratton
03-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I told my youngest your idea and she said "But that's not fair."

Tried a bowl today and made some firewood/lots of shavings. Maybe I'll try a pen next...... until the chuck arrives.....

Raymond Overman
03-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Good show Barry. I can't wait until my little one is old enough to join Daddy in the shop.

Mike Ramsey
03-27-2006, 9:27 AM
Nice job Barry & Daughter! Looks like she has a great start there Barry!