PDA

View Full Version : Laminate trim bit

Tom Peterson
03-25-2006, 11:17 PM
I started to add the laminate to the inside of my kitchen cabinets. (pictures soon). I have been using a 1/2" CMT guided router bit to trim the excess laminate after I apply it to the plywood with contact cement. I have not done very many panels and the bit is all chewed up and not cutting very well. Am I expecting too much or am I using the wrong bit?

Andy Fox
03-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Tom,

Just to make sure I'm picturing the bit correctly, it has a metal bearing on the end right? Set the depth of cut on the router or trimmer so that the bit will cut around 1/16" or so deeper than the laminate. Too deep and you'll occassionally bite the plywood and anything else on the edge. Is there metal on the edge which the bit could've bit?

Your bit shouldn't be chewed up after a few panels. Are you sure it's not just gummed up with contact cement or burnt? Might have to clean it off and wait a little longer for it to dry before trimming. Are you using a reasonable feed rate and RPM?

If the carbide parts of the bit really do look "chewed," throw it away. Carbide with structural damage can come apart without warning and cause a fatal shrapnel accident.