PDA

View Full Version : I am a kept man.....an endangered species......

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 10:46 PM
at least if I ask for another turning tool in the near future!

Saturday morning we go shopping to replace the 34 year old mattress and box springs on our bed. After 5 hours of relentless mattress testing we make our purchase and at the same store, she sees a CD player I need to replace the Yamaha that just gave up the ghost........She doesn't use it but I do.......so.......get it too.

Then to the Pritchard Museum at Moscow Idaho where they currently have a Turning Display. These are a number of items from public and private collections. Some of them look like they are something out of Star Wars.....some out of Shrek........some by Andy Warhol.........but all beauties in their own right......here are the names of some of the turners....Don Berry.....Johannes Michelsen.....Michelle Hoszpfel, William Hunter, Derek BEncomo, Steve Sinner, Melvin Linquist, James Prestini, Lincoln Sietzman, Ron Ken, Binh Pho, Philip Moulthrop, Mark Lindquist, Ben Carpenter, Ed Moulthrop, Stephan Hatcher, Stephen Hogbin, Alan Stirt, Jim Hume, David Elsworth, Rude Osolnik........and others.......I can't begin to tell you what a impression it made on this crude beginner! Even impressed my wife and as the CFO for this beginner....it takes a lot to impress her!

Then to the local Robert Larson dealer where I purchased a 3/8" bowl gouge, a 1/2" round nose scraper and a 1" straight scraper.

I've lost all excuses to not try all forms of turning................

Included is a photo so Tyler won't come out of his thong!

John Miliunas
03-25-2006, 10:56 PM
Nice scores, Ken!!! :) Now, go and turn a couple really nice pieces for the LOYL and you'll be back in business (tool buying) in no time!!! :D :cool:

John Hart
03-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Way to Go Mr. Fitzgerald!!!! Thank you for not hating us too much Mrs. Fitzgerald!!!:D

Hey Ken....I just finished a big ol walnut bowl tonight using nothing but a round nose scraper and a skew.;)

Christopher K. Hartley
03-25-2006, 11:33 PM
YeeHa! Way to go Ken!:D

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 11:34 PM
All right Ken. Good score. For future reference here's the methodology I've been using.

Notion: Want to turn a vahhhse
Problem 1: Want to turn a tall vahhhse
Problem 2: Ain’t no way the Stronghold will do it's thing on something 4" wide and 8" tall without piece going cattywampus.
Solution Step 1: Research Bowl Steadies and stuff. Determine needs.
Solution Step 2: Arrange for CFO to be present while making initial cuts on the interior.
Solution Step 3: Suggest that Dave Lancaster might have a solution.
Solution Step 4: Receive mandate from CFO to go to Dave's house and borrow a bowl steady.
Solution Step 5: Repeat Step 2
Solution Step 6: Ensure daughter (or other suitable witness) is present when CFO blesses purchase.

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2006, 12:01 AM
Yep Ken no more excuses man. You better produce or the SWMBO is going to start giving you the evil eye. :eek: :eek:

Great gloat Ken. You got the tools now. Hey John I did a lidded cherry box for my sister from the wood you sent with a skew and 1 1/2" scraper. Worked pretty slick. Ken try a box they are pretty easy to do.

Curt Fuller
03-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Saturday morning we go shopping to replace the 34 year old mattress and box springs on our bed. After 5 hours of relentless mattress testing we make our purchase

....it takes a lot to impress her!

Then to the local Robert Larson dealer where I purchased a 3/8" bowl gouge, a 1/2" round nose scraper and a 1" straight scraper.

I've lost all excuses to not try all forms

You're the Man, Ken.
If I could relentlessly test the mattress for 5 hours my wife would gladly send me to the tool shop with no credit limit.

Gary Max
03-26-2006, 5:07 AM
Dang that was a heck of a good Saturday Ken----sure beats sitting in front of the tube watching cartoons.

Glenn Clabo
03-26-2006, 6:14 AM
Nice Ken. Tools...music...mattress time...what more can a man ask for?;)

Jim DeLaney
03-26-2006, 7:44 AM
...After 5 hours of relentless mattress testing we make our purchase...

You mean the store let you take five one-hour naps one each of five mattresses? Now that's salesmanship!

David Fried
03-26-2006, 7:56 AM
After 5 hours of relentless mattress testing ...

You're the Man, Ken.

ROTFLMAO!! What Curt said!!!:D :D :D

Then to the Pritchard Museum at Moscow Idaho where they currently have a Turning Display.

Sounds like quite a display!! Any bonkers???

Nice! Sounds like you're ready for anything!

Dave Fried

Jim Dunn
03-26-2006, 9:42 AM
After 5 hours of relentless mattress testing
....it takes a lot to impress her!
I've lost all excuses to not try all forms of................

Had to read the above quote 3 times.:eek: Then I discovered I was reading with only my left eye.:rolleyes: Still not sure it's safe to post all that info here though, especially that part about Tyler.:D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 9:44 AM
David..........you're gonna find this hard to believe............there was one "bent bat".....hanging on a stand from the wall. It was rather large ...about 18"....and it was bent....my wife asked....."could that have been entered in the bonkers contest?"...............It was piece of the display!

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Nice Haul, you are about ready to do most of anything!

Corey

Karl Laustrup
03-26-2006, 12:56 PM
NOT ONE PICTURE OF ALL THE TURNINGS YOU LOOKED AT?:eek: :(

Did anything catch your eye that you might be trying next?

Karl

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 1:24 PM
Karl.......didn't think to bring a camera with us when we left home yesterday morning. A lot of things caught my eye. One thing that won't be on my list......a vase about 4' tall.......Name of the piece "1200 pieces of walnut"......Those 1200 pieces only go it up to about 3' then shoulders and neck were made out of 1 piece IIRC.....

Frank Guerin
03-26-2006, 6:36 PM
"Saturday morning we go shopping to replace the 34 year old mattress"

How does a matress last that long? You have to get out of the shop more :D
Congrats on the new tools.

Dale Thompson
03-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Ken,

With all of those "sharp" objects on your couch, where do you take a NAP?? :confused: :cool: :eek:

You've got GUTS, man! :) :)

Dale T.