PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit size advise needed.

Tim Clark
03-25-2006, 8:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm kinda new to WW and have picked up a few things just lurking here.

I'm getting ready to glue up some 1"x6" oak for a blanket chest lid ( 24"x36"). My question is what size biscuit would you use and how would you space them? I have a good supply of 0s and 20s but only a few 10s (HD was out)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Scott Vigder
03-25-2006, 8:21 PM
I'm very fond of 20's and usually space them every 8-10". Make sure if you are going to do any trimming you keep the biscuit slot far enough inside your final trim line.

Fred Voorhees
03-25-2006, 8:22 PM
Agree with Scott on both counts.

John Kain
03-25-2006, 8:24 PM
I have been working without a jointer or planer for many years now. I use my trusted table saw for everything. That said, I place biscuits every 5 inches or so for the sole purpose of aligning the two boards. I think adding this amount of biscuits acutally decreases the strength of the joint............

Jerry Olexa
03-25-2006, 10:33 PM
Use 20's. Bigger is better and stronger on a panel glue up IMHO

Tim Clark
03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. 20s it is.

I'm not making a "Breadboard" edge if that's the trim you were thinking of. It'll just be a simple glue up and round over on the edges.

Appreciate the help.

tod evans
03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
tim, save the biscuits for gravy, glue is stronger than wood so they`re just another thing to keep you from finishing the blanket chest. glue-n-clamp your boards without `em they`ll be fine...02 tod

frank shic
03-26-2006, 10:50 AM
tod's right! save those biscuits. gluing up a panel with biscuits is not necessary although it would give you an excuse to whip out the biscuit jointer. just because the big manufacturers and norm uses them for glue-ups doesn't mean that it's a necessary step.

David Eisenhauer
03-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I agree with Tod. If you need to use them to try and control some misalignment due to cupping, I guess, but you certainly don't need them for strength. I like biscuits in the right application, but in my opinion, this isn't one of them.

David

Tim Clark
03-26-2006, 2:56 PM
I saw Norm AND David Marks using their biscuit jointers yesterday and I just gotta play with my new toy, er tool.

I'm more concerned with clean alignment than strength.

frank shic
03-26-2006, 3:59 PM
by all means tim, SLOT AWAY! try not to hurt yourself, ok? ;)

Tim Clark
03-26-2006, 6:02 PM
I'll be vewy, vewy careful.

If I was more confident with my clamping abilities I'ld attempt it sans bisquits. I just want to use every thing I can to help this come out nice for my step-daughter's B-day present. I need all the help I can get too.

Vaughn McMillan
03-26-2006, 6:11 PM
I understand the need to play with the toyls (same dog bites me from time to time), but for future reference, you can always clamp cauls running perpendicular to the joints to keep the faces of the boards aligned. I do this all the time on smaller panels like cutting boards. I just use waxed paper between the cauls and the glue-up to keep the cauls from becoming a permanent feature. Here's an example of one:

You can see the waxed paper...this shot was taken before I tore off the excess to wipe off the squeeze-out.

- Vaughn

Barry O'Mahony
03-26-2006, 6:55 PM
I'm more concerned with clean alignment than strength.Then you may be disappointed. There's often too much "slop" in how the biscuits fit in the slots for them to help very much in alignment. Personally, I find that the caul method shown by Vaughn does a far better job at aligning the panel.

tod evans
03-26-2006, 7:17 PM
i use deap reach vicegrips to align stuborn seams....02 tod

Tim Clark
03-27-2006, 7:10 AM
Great now I have to, er, get to, buy more clamps. What a vicious circle.

I'll be putting this project on a short hold while I move the washer & dryer up stairs and claim another 180 sq.ft for the shop. That'll give me just shy of 500 ft of work space (almost half the basement) to work in.

Part of the laundry project involves a move to a recently vacated (again) spare B/R and a loft bed build to go over the machines, which gives LOML room for that dreadmill she's been pining for and our five y/o nephew gets his own bed when he visits (which is often).

We saw a bed that Dean Johnson built Saturday on PBS that inspired us. If anyone has plans or pics of a simple knock down 2x4 & 1x? loft bed like that one I'ld love to see it.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I knew I'ld get some good ideas here (and not get lost in the crowd).