PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl with pic

Eddie Severt
08-13-2003, 10:27 PM
:) I turned my first bowl yesterday. This is, actually, the second thing I have turned. The first was a liine-up shaft for the two clutch plates in a Ford 2000 tractor (a have-to job). This bowl has some special meaning for me, it is a portion of a fence post from my farm my father installed in the late 60's. It was, quite possibly, the worst wood I could have picked for a first attempt, well seasoned field locust. It is hard as a rock and chips easily. It took about 1 1/2 hours to turn it. I have put on two coats of tung oil, and may put on more later. I am pleased with how it looks, but will have to sharpen everything I have to make anything else out of this wood. It even dulls a chainsaw to cut it. The bowl measures 2 1/2 tall by 6 3/4 diameter. Thanks for looking.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
08-14-2003, 8:04 AM
:) I turned my first bowl yesterday. The bowl measures 2 1/2 tall by 6 3/4 diameter. Thanks for looking.

Ed,
I like the grain in that bowl! I bet it was a bear to turn. I have some "extra dry" locust to turn that I got from Phil Duffy. It'll probably be the same thing ... keep the grinder going while turning and touch up the edge every few cuts. The bowl looks good and sturdy. I like that look. Keep up the good work and posting picts. Have fun and turn safely.

Ron

Jeff Rich
08-14-2003, 8:10 AM
I can attest to the hardness of locust.
A friend gave me some nice chunks that ended up splitting badly, before I knew about sealing wood.
I have turned a few things from them but what a toll they take on tools. However, honey locust finishes nicely, I think I have a pic around somewhere......
Nice looking bowl keep up the good work!

Bill Grumbine
08-15-2003, 8:51 AM
Hi Eddie

A very good beginning you have there! I can also attest to how hard locust is to turn, even when it is wet. I once punched myself in the face twice (hard) trying to hollow out a deep locust form. What makes your bowl even more special is the story and the memories. Keep up the good work.

Bill