PDA

View Full Version : Lathe bench modifications (pics)

Bob Noles
03-25-2006, 7:00 PM
I had a little free time and energy today and got around to making a modification to my lathe bench that I have been wanting to add. I got a cheap dust hood from HF a while back and needed to get it mounted so I could hook up my dust collector when sanding. I relocated my tool holder to the far right of the bench and simply added a 2X4 cut to the proper length and bolted it to the back of the bench. A little matching stain, a coat of varnish and a few screws and presto.... sanding dust is no longer a problem.

I guess you can tell that our camera is back home :D

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:07 PM
OK Bob.....put the candy bars DOWN. You don't need any more energy. You're wearing me out just reading your posts and looking at your completed projects!!!!:rolleyes: :p

Very nice on the dust hood. How well does it catch flying bowl blanks?:eek: :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Looks mighty fine my friend. You are going to have that shop in top shape.

I was going to ask the same question Dennis. That hood ain't near big enough to catch a flying bowl. A pen maybe.

Corey Hallagan
03-25-2006, 10:31 PM
Pretty cool there Bob, Lil' Red is looking good!

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Looks great Bob, nice job!

John Hart
03-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Nice looking rig Bob! Wow...you're getting some cool stuff done. I just make a mess.:o

Randy Meijer
03-26-2006, 1:59 AM
Looks like you repainted your JET mini??:D :D

Chris Barton
03-26-2006, 6:48 AM
Great looking stand, it reminds me of the one that Dick Parr uses on his DVR. Sometimes it is more fun to make tools and modify your grear than to actually work on a project.

Randy Meijer
04-04-2006, 1:52 AM
Looks like you repainted your JET mini??:D :D

Maybe I was a little too cute. I know that is not a Jet mini ; but it looks very similar. I would be curious to know what brand of lathe that is?? Thanks.

Bob Noles
04-04-2006, 6:27 AM
Hi Randy....

That was funny as I have had many comments about the likeness to the Jet. This is a TurnCrafter Pro lathe that I purchased off Amazon for $169 with free shipping and added the extension for about $28 if memory serves me right. I did modify the location of the power switch and mounted it on the bench itself, left hand side. I have been very happy with this model to get started in the turning world and think it has everything to offer of any model in it class. If I ever expand my turning to where a larger lathe is needed, I figured I would not have much in this one to lose when the time came to upgrade.

Rich Stewart
04-04-2006, 10:54 AM
That's the cleanest shop I ever saw. Do you clean it after each and every turning? Mine is dirtier than that immediately after cleaning up.

Bob Noles
04-04-2006, 2:03 PM
That's the cleanest shop I ever saw. Do you clean it after each and every turning? Mine is dirtier than that immediately after cleaning up.

Rich,

I must admit that I am a clean freak most of the time and especially before I let a camera in there :D

Probably spend darn near as much time cleaning and organizing as I do messing it right back up :eek: Almost like a disease or something :p

Tyler Howell
04-04-2006, 2:06 PM
I like the stand but what's that red thing for:confused:

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 2:10 PM
Nice bench

I like the stand but what's that red thing for:confused:

Listen to the call of the vortex, Tyler. you need to take a spin....
Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated.

You know Tyler for a flat earth person you sure do hang around spinney things a lot...:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-04-2006, 2:18 PM
Don...............remember.........I tried to resist......Tyler will just take a little longer but................

John Hart
04-04-2006, 2:50 PM
Here...take a look at this Quote:

Bipolar Disorder:o
As I walk the fence trying to decide which side to fall on, I keep buying and collecting toyls (both corded and Neander) hoping for the time and inspiration to make more wood chips.

You would think he would just fall off that fence into the vortex forever, since a lathe is a Big Ol' Corded Neander Toyl.:)

Don Baer
04-04-2006, 2:54 PM
Here...take a look at this Quote:

You would think he would just fall off that fence into the vortex forever, since a lathe is a Big Ol' Corded Neander Toyl.:)

Yea but it sure doesn't fall into the catagory of a dead wood tool like some folks support.