PDA

View Full Version : I had visitor's today

Robert Mickley
03-25-2006, 6:00 PM
And darned if they didn't leave with enough wood to keep them both out of trouble for a while :cool:

John Hart and John Timberlake where here for a visit, We had worldly discusions on sanding and other great turning topics. Played with the chainsaw some and just had a great time.

And before either one tells you, I am a redneck LOL

And John, better get busy I'm looking for pictures of roughed out bowls :D :D

John Hart
03-25-2006, 6:07 PM
Hey....I'm workin' on it. Got a piece of walnut mounted up and was just taking a break. I got some great pictures today...Hope they turned out. As soon as I finish this bowl....I'll post some pics of our visit.

We had a great time. Robert's a cool guy....for a redneck.;) :D

tod evans
03-25-2006, 6:13 PM
rednecks in ohio?????? must be a transplant..

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 6:16 PM
Sounds like every one had a good time. How is the walnut turning John?

Robert Mickley
03-25-2006, 6:16 PM
Yeah but you forgot to tell them how cheap I am :D :D err I mean frugal.

That Cherry goblet we where discussing, I did post it here
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29620

But I misquoted you the price :rolleyes: The wife corrected me I got $125 for it, where I got $250, heck who knows. Wishful thinnking maybe.

John Hart
03-25-2006, 6:48 PM
Yeah but you forgot to tell them how cheap I am :D :D err I mean frugal. ....

Well...What you call "Frugal", I call "Ingenious".

I'm working on the pics right now cuz it's almost time for dinner. In the mean time, here's how far I've gotten so far. It's a big Walnut blank. Got the bottom roughed in. Now, I'm turning it around and starting on the inside. It's 12" in diameter and 3" thick.

John Timberlake
03-25-2006, 6:53 PM
We had a wonderful time and Robert was very generous with the wood. I plan to get to some turning tomorrow. Wife wants dinner out tonight and I'm in the midst of building bookcases. So much time, so little to do - stop - reverse that (Willie Wanka).

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:09 PM
rednecks in ohio?????? must be a transplant..

LOL Tod!!!!!!! I ain't never heard of a northern redneck before. :confused: :p :D

John Hart
03-25-2006, 7:10 PM
Yup...What John Said. It really was a nice time. Robert is quite the colorful character and I was never bored. He is innovative to say the least, and to tell you the truth...I could live in his shop.:D

We started off the day by me driving to John Timberlakes house, getting in his van and headin' East. The drive was a little over an hour and we had a nice conversation. Arrived at Roberts house and headed out to the shop and got a demonstration of his outdoor woodburner that heats his house. I didn't get a pic...But it's pretty cool....er...pretty hot!

Anyway....in the shop, I was thoroughly impressed with the homemade stuff and how well lived-in his shop is. My shop is messy....Robert claims that his is....but he has a ways to go before he catches up with me.:D

Here's a couple of pics of Robert and John as we were looking over the blanks and roughed in bowls.
Robert on the left

John On the Left

Robert makes big Bowls. Here's one with a segmented pedestal.

Here's a big rough-in. It's a monster (bad focus)

Another Big Bowl

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:10 PM
Robert,

I'm very glad ya'll had an opportunity to meet and talk "shop". It's always nice to read / hear about fellow SMC'ers getting together and meeting.

Bob Noles
03-25-2006, 7:12 PM
Robert,

You sure keep some mighty fine company :cool:

John Hart
03-25-2006, 7:15 PM
Here's a couple of shots of Robert's Lathe. I don't remember the make and model, but there's no way that a monster blank is going to rock this thing. My guess, is that it weighs about 235 tons....but that's a guess.;)

Now here's something new. Robert has a Jet JWL1237 I think?...could be wrong on the model number. But a while back, he broke the tailstock, so instead of throwing it away, he turned it into a sander. I mean...hey...The guy needed a sander!!

John Hart
03-25-2006, 7:25 PM
We went out to this 8 foot walnut log and even though John and I brought out chainsaws, Robert insisted on cutting it. He used his Echo 18"....Cut like butter. (Glad we didn't use my saw...we'd still be there)

Here's one of the Walnut Crotches from that tree. I think we may have gotten 5?....maybe 6?

Here's a pic of all the wood loaded in John's Van

We had a good time. Robert gave a lesson on power sanding. I'm sold. He also gave an astounding testimony to the advantages and success of Boiling wood rather than alkie soak. (pretty impressive) Spent some time back at the house and looked at some of Robert's finished projects, both turned and flatwork.....The Bubinga tables were awesome!!

Then we headed back to Cleveland. It was a nice trip. One of my good days. Thanks Robert! Thanks for driving John!:) :)

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 7:29 PM
LOL Tod!!!!!!! I ain't never heard of a northern redneck before. :confused: :p :D
I have. It's an engineered variant of the Lahontan Trout (found only in Washoe County, Nevada). The Northern Redneck Trout has a vast range running from Bridgewater, Vermont all the way to Fishs Eddy, New York.

Nice score John & John. Even nicer is that Mickley generosity - whose natural habitat by the way, runs from...........

Robert Mickley
03-25-2006, 7:53 PM

Thats only because you haven't met me yet Dennis :D

I had a great time, If the rest of the creekers are half as nice as these two gentlemen I'm in really great company.

The lathe is a rehabbed yates american, repowerd with a 3 HP DC motor and variable speed drive.

John must have one tough camera, all those pics of me and its still working.

Heres the home made redneck version of an outdoor boiler.
And A pic of the tables John liked so much

George Conklin
03-25-2006, 9:01 PM
WOW! It's easy to see why John liked the tables so much. Those are gorgeous!

Nice haul, gentlemen.

That was really nice of you, Robert. That surely made their day.

George

George Conklin
03-25-2006, 9:03 PM
What's this about trout, Andy?

John Hart
03-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Ok...I promised Robert that I would rough a bowl out tonight. Although, I didn't make this out of the tree that he sawed up. Instead, I decided to use one of the 12" diameter blanks that he had on the table in the shop. The blank was dry enough to take all the way to finish so here's where I got tonight.

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey John! That's an awesome pair of nested bowls!:D

Hey George! Just passing along some fisherman's lore.:D

Robert Mickley
03-26-2006, 9:35 AM
Sweet, Now you and John will have the rest of those done this weekend right?
:eek: Just kidding. It looks a whole lot better there than as firewood

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-26-2006, 11:18 AM
Boy that looks great, you guys have no idea how much I envy your "visits".

Heck I get excited when someone PMs me.... ;)

Cheers!

John Timberlake
03-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Robert, I said that Sunday would be the day, so here it is. I used one of the cherry blanks that was fairly dry and turned what I call a bowl with a rim - kind of like a soup bowl.

Picture 1 is the blank mounted

Picture 2 is the blank with a ring turned off. It is faster than turning all the wood to chips and someday I might use if for something.

Picture 3 is the bottom of the bowl finished

Picture 4 is the top of the bowl finished and still mounted.

Picture 5 is the finished bowl

Thanks again for the wood and the good time at your place. I still have to finish those bookshelves, so it may be a while before the next bowl

Robert Mickley
03-28-2006, 1:46 PM
WOW that is sharp John!! Now I almost feel bad for not turning it, nah not since you did a great job with it. Glad you enjoyed yourself and yu guys are welcome anytime!!

John Hart
03-28-2006, 2:34 PM
Geez....How did I miss this? Nicely done John!

I like how you saved that ring. I'd definitely make a clock out of that bugger!!!:)

Nice Bowl sir!!

John Timberlake
03-28-2006, 2:37 PM
I like how you saved that ring. I'd definitely make a clock out of that bugger!!!:)

John,

Some day I will take all the rings and glue them up into a bowl blank, add a bottom and turn them. Too much good wood for now to bother.

John Hart
03-28-2006, 2:40 PM
Oh yeah....That's a good idea. Especially for us "Segmentedly Challenged" folks.:)

Robert Mickley
03-28-2006, 9:04 PM
Oh yeah....That's a good idea. Especially for us "Segmentedly Challenged" folks.:)

what challenge?

John Hart
03-28-2006, 9:22 PM
Oh sure...It's easy for you Robert. I can't cut straight!!!!:o