PDA

View Full Version : Brute Force & Massive Ignorance

Lee DeRaud
03-25-2006, 5:41 PM
Lidded box #2, working strictly from memory of the class Tuesday. I think I'll make a point of keeping this one out of reach of the $^@# dog.
Cherry/walnut, 3.5" x 2.25".

I need a nap.

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 6:09 PM
Hey Lee that looks absolutely excellent for box #2. What kind of finish did you use on it? You did some great work. Keep putting them out. It will get easier with every one.

Randy Moore
03-25-2006, 6:11 PM
Nice looking box, what is the finnish?
I have to ask-what did the dog do and where is the pic of that piece?:eek:

Randy

Lee DeRaud
03-25-2006, 6:18 PM
Nice looking box, what is the finnish?
I have to ask-what did the dog do and where is the pic of that piece?:eek: Finish is Shellawax, applied on the lathe.

The first box I did (in a Woodcraft class) is in http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33406.
"The dog ate my homework, honest!!"

Robert Mickley
03-25-2006, 6:20 PM
Looks great Lee,

Randy. maybe the dog turned a nicer one :D

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:13 PM
Good looking box #2 there Lee. You must have a very "good" memory!!!!

Excellent box and congrats on another piece well done.

Bob Noles
03-25-2006, 7:14 PM
Dang Lee.... you as fast a learner as Bernie. Great job and looks like you and that lathe have bonded quite well.

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 7:35 PM
You did really well, Lee.

So... I like that you're turning those exotic trees courtesy of the Luther Burbank knowledge base. I had no idea you could engineer these two species to grow like that. Very cool.

John Hart
03-26-2006, 7:17 AM
... I had no idea you could engineer these two species to grow like that. Very cool.

Bud Grafting....It's a new concept with fruit trees. Never heard of doing it with fruits and nuts.:)

Nice box Lee! Looks like you have the lip down well. Hows the fit?

Jim Dunn
03-26-2006, 9:46 AM
It can be done if you use some of Lee's septic tank effluent. He uses it for finishing he says.
Nice looking box Lee. The other one could be displayed as "distressed". Gave one to my granddaughter, she's 19months, suspect it will look like the dog ate it eventually.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 10:00 AM
Excellent box Lee! I hope to try my hand at that very thing later today!

bob gugerty
03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Hello Lee,
Nice Job on the box.
I had a customer that requested the "destresed" look for an artist sketch pencil so I gave it to the dog She bit it a few times then I tied it to her harness wile we played in the yard. The customer loved it, the dog was happy as can be. She got a treat for the hard work and I had a greeat time turning the pencil.

bob

Lee DeRaud
03-26-2006, 10:17 AM
It can be done if you use some of Lee's septic tank effluent. He uses it for finishing he says.Naw, that was Dale: they get away with a lot of stuff up in Cheeseheadland that is grossly illegal here in LaLaLand.:eek: :D

Jim Dunn
03-26-2006, 1:21 PM
Your right of course but you two look so much alike I had a hard time remembering which one of you used the stuff.:):)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2006, 1:25 PM
Jim..........nice 2 for 1 shot!

Corey Hallagan
03-26-2006, 1:36 PM
Very nice Lee, I like the mix of woods, something different. Looks like your well on your way. You newbiew are all surpassing me. I have only done pens and spindles!

corey

Lee DeRaud
03-26-2006, 2:06 PM
...but you two look so much alike...Me and Dale?!? Get your eyes checked, dude: I'm the handsome one with the beard.:cool:

John Miliunas
03-26-2006, 2:52 PM
Well done, Lee, whether it be done from memory or otherwise!!! :) Nice selection of species, as well. However, try as I might, I've not been able to locate any Cherrnut 'round these parts. Must be a Cali thing, huh? :D :cool:

Lee DeRaud
03-26-2006, 3:18 PM
However, try as I might, I've not been able to locate any Cherrnut 'round these parts. Must be a Cali thing, huh? :D :cool:Yup. It's that big tree in the background in the "happy cow" commercials...I don't think it grows in your climate.:rolleyes: