PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I do all handtool woodworking demoes at steam shows and living history events, I am seriously thinking of making me a sign to hang on my workbench toward the public, that says "Cordless Tool Demonstration". :D

Mark Stutz
03-25-2006, 1:27 PM
Harry,
That would definitely be something to get ones attention! I'm assuming you do a lot of interacting with your audience...if so , then all the better. A lot of"groans" at the humor, but might gt some to talk and ask questions that otherwise would not.

BTW, how far away from home do you venture for these things?
Ever get to Missouri? I would enjoy seeing your demostration sometime.

Mark

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 2:24 PM
I demoed at Mahaffie Stage Coach Stop last year at Olathe, ks, kind of suburb of Kc, Ks and years ago I demoed at Lathrop,Mo, north of KC,Mo

I live 10 miles from Mo. and 4 from Ks. mostly Ne and Ks is where I do my demoing.

Generally I am there to interact with the public and answer questions about the craft in the old days. I never try to do anything that is tedious, because of the interruptions.

But, I sure enjoy them Normites that walk up and try to hassle me, seems there is always a crowd when they appear. That's when I ask them if they have ever cut tongue and groove, then I ask them how they go about it. Then I grab my match plane, cut a tongue and groove about (2 min max) drive it together and ask them if they have found their router and bits yet. The crowd just loves it. LOL

I let other woodworkers try their hand at cutting dovetails or using my saws or planes etc, whatever they want to try. I enjoy sharing my knowledge.

I am currently looking for someone to help me set up as I have injured my back, it is a non compensated (slave) job, but I would really love to try and teach someone the use of the old tools. If your interested :)

Mark Stutz
03-25-2006, 5:18 PM
Harry, that sounds like a lot of fun. That would be an incredible learning experience for someone! I wish we were a couple hundred miles closer together!

John Timberlake
03-25-2006, 5:20 PM
I am trying to get together a tool kit for similar demos at French and Indian War events that I attend during the Summer. Have a fair collection of planes, chisels, etc. Trying to decide what to do.

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 5:41 PM
John, French and Indian wars time period, all wood planes, bow and frame saws if you want to be period correct I guess. drawknife, wood spoke shaves, etc.

Where to start, figure out what tools you are gonna use and then make a couple of smaller tool chests to put them in, small ones are easier to handle.

Randy Moore
03-25-2006, 6:38 PM
Harry,
Are you coming back to Olathe this year? If so let me know, I will come to the show and be glad to meet you and learn from you.:)

Randy

harry strasil
03-25-2006, 10:57 PM
haven't been invited back yet Randy, If I am will let you know.