PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Apple

Ed Scolforo
03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
A co-worker knew someone who had taken down a dying apple tree and thought of me when he saw some of the pretty grain running through it. Apparantly the owner of the tree was very fond of it and tried everything he could to save it but it was too far gone. The tree is really full of worms, and my wife is having a fit with the pieces laying around, but, oh well. So I made this bowl and pen to give to the former owner as a momento, as well as a pen for my friend. The bowl is 5 1/2 x 3 inches and finished with Antique Oil. The pen is a PSI Comfort style with TN plating.
Ed

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Ed bowl and pen look great. You did a fine job on them and the owner should be pleased.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Ed.......Something about those worm holes give that bowl some character! I like it!

Corey Hallagan
03-25-2006, 10:57 AM
Very nice job on the bowl and pen. I am sure he will appreciate them and you thinking of him.

Corey

John Hart
03-26-2006, 6:59 AM
Congratulations Ed...Official member of the worm guts counsel. Nice looking bowl and pen! I like that apple.:)

David Fried
03-26-2006, 8:27 AM
They both look great Ed.

My neighbor had some roots from apple trees in his barn so I did turn an apple pen - turned very nicely and had a wonderful color like yours. I really liked apple - hope you got to stash some away!

Dave Fried

Keith Burns
03-27-2006, 2:55 PM
Very nice work Ed :) :)

Mark Cothren
03-27-2006, 3:18 PM
Ed, that is definitely some worm tracks!!! Did you clean out the holes or leave the residue in them?

Nice work on what was probably some very soft wood, eh?

Thanks for the pictures!

Ed Scolforo
03-27-2006, 5:41 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. Mark, I pretty much left the residue in the holes to act as a filler. I had a few "floaters" coming out of the DNA bath and found one during the turning. The wood is really not that soft and it's nice to work with.
Ed

Jim Dunn
03-27-2006, 6:25 PM
Ed nice looking bowl. Did you turn with your mouth open to catch the offending wormies??