PDA

View Full Version : 90% (Magnum) Gloat (w/ question)

Dan Stuewe
08-13-2003, 3:04 PM
A couple of weeks ago I asked about using high speed (> 3000 RPM) drill with my new Kreg Pocket Hole jig. There were several pro and con replies, so I just put the radar out for a deal, but wasn't going to go shopping. Anyway, I found a used 3/8" Milwaukee Magnum hammer drill on ebay and I ended up buying it for $38 after shipping. I got it yesterday and it should take good care of my pocket hole drilling needs.

The reason I gave it a 90% gloat is because the "hammer" function doesn't seem to be working (the seller claimed "works great"). Based on Milwaukee's web site this isn't a current model (cat. 5372). It seems you switch from drill to hammer by twisting a ring just below the chuck. The ring locks in the forward position for hammer and the chuck can be pushed back and the spring pushes it forward, but when I turn on the drill, it just spins. Milwaukee doesn't have a manual on their website, so I'm wondering if there is more I need to do. Can anyone help with how to get the hammer action to work? Could a guy who likes to tinker, but doesn't know anything, pop her open and fix something like this?

Thanks,

Bob Lasley
08-13-2003, 4:12 PM
Dan,

Put a bit in the drill and then hold the bit against something hard and pull the trigger. Quite often, hammer drills won't hammer unless the bit is pressed against something.

Bob

Dan Stuewe
08-13-2003, 4:22 PM
Dan,

Put a bit in the drill and then hold the bit against something hard and pull the trigger. Quite often, hammer drills won't hammer unless the bit is pressed against something.

Bob

The seller just replied to my email with that same info. I also looked at the owner's manual of the new Milwaukee hammer drills and that is what it says too.

So my 90% can be changed to 100% (unless drilling holes in concrete is so much fun our grarage floor ends up looking like swiss cheese! Then I could be in trouble.)

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-13-2003, 5:23 PM
Dan, I have this exact same drill, and Bob is correct.........it won't hammer until there is pressure on the bit/chuck. This is a great drill, and if the drill is in decent shape, you got a great deal. Just be careful when you use this monster.............with the torque that it has, it is a wrist breaker if it hangs up and gets away from you. I especially like the detachable cord, it makes it easy to store. Great drill, and you got a deal on it............enjoy and be safe! :D