PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home the other day...

Bill Lewis
03-25-2006, 9:54 AM
Well this is about as far from a woodworking tool as it gets, but I thought everyone would appreciate it nonetheless.

I finally broke down and bought this rotary hammer drill. It's a Hilti TE-2, and it came with the 6 CX bits, bit case, and saftey glasses. The drill alone is regularly $190, the kit was $229. The bits alone are about $18-$35 each. The rep also gave me a grease dispenser for the SDS bit shanks (to use in the chuck end, not on the points). He was going to throw in a case, but he didn't have any, that would've been nice.

I've been needing a real hammer drill for a long time. I basically just got tired of borrowing whenever I needed one. I would have liked to get a bigger one, but the rotory/demolition one I wanted was over $1k, just too much to justify. If you've never used a Hilti drill before, they are awesome. They dill through masonry like butter, with accuracy. I've used other hammer drills and I don't think they compair. Of course, the SDS bits probably also make a difference (Bosch also uses them) because they're designed for this purpose.

I think I'm going to go anchor my drill press now.

Bill Lewis
03-25-2006, 9:56 AM
Ok somehow the pic didn't work so here it is...
It got stuck in progress, had to delete it from the list, then re-upload it.

Tyler Howell
03-25-2006, 9:57 AM
Didn't Happen!

Bill Lewis
03-25-2006, 9:58 AM
Wow Tyler, you're fast, now I know why you are thepic police!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Bill .......That's one of those tools......you won't use it often ....but when you need it, it's heaven sent!

I used to work on oil rigs....I'm not scared of physical labor. Decided to demolish the downstairs bathroom and remodel. Couldn't find a shower stall that would align with the existing drain in the basement floor so I thought I'd just sledge and star drill/chisel it out and move it. 3 hours later, blistered palm on my right hand.....I finally had a hole all the way through the concrete.....about 3/4" in diameter. I wanted to move the drain about 2 feet......this ain't going to work! I went and rented a hammer drill and bit. I moved that drain in less than 20 minutes!

Nice tool! Congrats!

tod evans
03-25-2006, 10:06 AM
nice score bill! hilti`s good stuff. .02 tod

Bill Lewis
03-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Ken,
You're right, I've done the star drills before, no fun at all.

For big jobs I can still borrow my neighbors big hammer. I took this picture earlier in the year (January) when I had to move the drain. We decided to do a shower instead of a tub, and it was in the wrong place.

I keep threatening to do a big write up on this basement bath project, If anyone's interested I can start it up in the OT forum.

Mark Rios
03-25-2006, 1:33 PM
Congrats Bill. A good hammer drill is really nice to use. When I got my big Bosch hammer drill a few years ago it worked so good for the job I was doing I went around looking for things to drill and anchor; the foundation, the couch, garbage can, anything I could. But I was told that if I drilled anything in the house then I'd be in big trouble so I had to curb my excitement.:D :D :D

Those new Hilti's are supposed to be the best for low/no vibration. Looks like one nice set-up there. Congrats again.

Steve Clardy
03-25-2006, 2:32 PM
Nice gloat!!

Frank Chaffee
03-25-2006, 7:08 PM
Hey Bill!
Cool gloat!
Iffin’ I’d had one of those so many years ago, my left forefinger first knuckle would be much smaller than it is now.
Frank

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:16 PM
Excellent tool. You must have a magnetic personality for something that nice to follow you home. ;) :D

Bill Lewis
03-26-2006, 9:19 AM
Like you guys said, it's one of those things that you don't need very often, but when you do, it's good to have one. I can think of more times that I've needed one, and have either struggled with some other mothod, or just done without (like achoring tools properly).

I'm hoping to start my deck this year, and I've got to hang the ledger off of the concrete foundation wall (vs. the band board), so I've got lots of holes to drill in it. This was a big motivator to buy this drill, plus I needed it now for a couple of things in the bathroom job.

Michael Gibbons
03-26-2006, 3:37 PM
Tyler, you need to say your sorry to Bill for jumping the gun , the picture was coming.