PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone... new blood here...

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 12:20 AM
Hi everyone,
My name is Ted
New to the site, kinda. I’ve a few post under my belt. Just wanting to make it official and say “HI”, and I’m glad to be here. I lurked for a while, learning more. My woodworking experience started out making speaker cabinets 20+ years ago, but nothing full time hobby wise. Mostly work, and the occasional woodworking project involving a deck in the backyard, a pool deck, patio deck, picnic tables. Basically, plus or minus ½” projects, except the speaker cabinets, whose tolerances demanded better fit-up like furniture.
Here are some of the outdoor projects: (the picture police will be pleased, but the bandwidth police won’t be.)

I have a neighbor who helped me build the deck, shed and cover in the pictures above. I did all the design work, and planning that went into those three projects, and it took awhile to complete, 2 years working available weekends only. I’m not done, there are a few issues I need to address still, nothing major.
(FWIW: My neighbor used to build custom pool tables, from scratch, and has probably forgotten more about woodworking than I’ll ever know. He’s in his early 40’s years old and just gave it up, but I still pick his brain from time to time.)

The wife and I had decided to revamp the master bath, and switching the shower stall and toilet locations with each other. (Going from a 32” square shower pan, to about 4’x3’ area, more room is nice.)
I redesigned the cabinets to be 4” taller, (saving our backs), and 6” deeper. The drawers in the cabinets are standard length, (the 6” extra rear space allowed me extra room to route the drains and supply lines from their original stub-out from the wall, to the new locations. I had no desire to tear out wall board and redo plumbing.) I also designed the top, and higher backsplash, and it was fabbed by a company out in our area, made from resin type material with a faux marble look.

Now I have to admit that I did not do the cabinet work, but the man who did, built it to my drawings. (At the time I was working 60 hrs week at my job and loss of the bathroom for an extended period of time was not an option. You tell the wife that the bathroom won’t be finished for three months and see what she says….)

Well, at the present time I have the urge to build furniture, specifically an entertainment center around the big screen. I’m into guitars, so I would like to build a guitar. I recently built a prototype speaker cab for my guitar amp, I just got some Transtint Dyes in and I’m going to try to finish it this weekend or next. I still have to do more work on the cover grill.

Well that the story so far, everything is a work in progress, or half done.
Any questions???

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 12:22 AM
more pics:

Jason Tuinstra
03-25-2006, 12:35 AM
Ted, good to have you here!

Jerry White
03-25-2006, 12:56 AM
Welcome to the Creek, neighbor. There are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people here! :)

And oh, yes.......I'm impressed with your work. Excellent!!

lou sansone
03-25-2006, 7:10 AM
nice work and welcome to the creek
lou

tod evans
03-25-2006, 7:19 AM
welcome ted!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-25-2006, 7:24 AM
Nice work, welcome!

Great pics, nice to build a deck and then enjoy it for many year eh?

Cheers!

Mike Cutler
03-25-2006, 7:48 AM
Nice to meet ya' Ted, and welcome to the 'Creek.
That's some nice work that you have done. The outside deck looks like a very peacful refuge.

I like that amp, but I hope the neighbors don't complain to your parents when you crank it up, and do a couple of Nugent licks :eek: ;) ( I always got in trouble doing Foghat, and Sabbath solos)

Steve Clardy
03-25-2006, 8:02 AM
Welcome Jay!!

Tyler Howell
03-25-2006, 8:27 AM
Welcome Jay,
Picture police seal of approval.
Couple question on your guitar amp and speaker:confused:
Is that a folded horn?? base reflex cabinet or some new technology that's passed me bye??
How about the amp? Pre amp? Please share. Your own design?
Thanks and glad to have you swimming in the creek.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 9:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek Ted! Nice work!

Jim Becker
03-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Welcome aboard, Ted....but there is no need to shed blood for the place! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome Ted. Looks like some mighty fine work.

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 1:57 PM
Nice work, welcome!

Great pics, nice to build a deck and then enjoy it for many year eh?

Cheers!

Thanks,
What's so nice is it's raised up 2 ft off the ground. When I built it there was nothing but an empty field behind us (look at the background in the pic of the pond and the background of the others). Now there are houses behinds us. The one advantage is our community park is behind us, so at least I have an open view, and not someones back yard.

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 2:02 PM
Nice to meet ya' Ted, and welcome to the 'Creek.
That's some nice work that you have done. The outside deck looks like a very peacful refuge.

I like that amp, but I hope the neighbors don't complain to your parents when you crank it up, and do a couple of Nugent licks :eek: ;) ( I always got in trouble doing Foghat, and Sabbath solos)

Well they better know that my parents live in Florida, and have their number. My wife on the other hand doesn't mind it when I crank it up, I'm 47 years old.:eek: She put up with me, don't ask me why!:D

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 2:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek, neighbor. There are a lot of knowledgeable, friendly people here! :)

And oh, yes.......I'm impressed with your work. Excellent!!

Thank You, and yes there are.
Where in Katy are you?

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-25-2006, 2:05 PM
Good Lookin' Stuff, Ted. Welcome to the creek!

Only two things wrong.

1. We NEVER use the "B" word around here.

And

2. I don't see anything in the pictures that look like "Spinny things". Don't you have a lathe?

Bruce

Chris Fite
03-25-2006, 2:54 PM
Nice water garden.

Vaughn McMillan
03-25-2006, 3:28 PM
I'm late chiming in here Jay, but add my "welcome" to the list. Glad to have you aboard.

You and I have some similarities in our paths to woodworking as well as our non-woodworking afflictions (guitars). It's sorta like we were twin brothers separated at birth. Mom kept you... 'cause you were the cute one. :p

- Vaughn

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 6:52 PM
I'm late chiming in here Jay, but add my "welcome" to the list. Glad to have you aboard.

You and I have some similarities in our paths to woodworking as well as our non-woodworking afflictions (guitars). It's sorta like we were twin brothers separated at birth. Mom kept you... 'cause you were the cute one. :p

- Vaughn
Thank you BRO, I feel complete now...(sniff)

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 7:04 PM
Welcome Jay,
Picture police seal of approval.
Couple question on your guitar amp and speaker:confused:
Is that a folded horn?? base reflex cabinet or some new technology that's passed me bye??
How about the amp? Pre amp? Please share. Your own design?
Thanks and glad to have you swimming in the creek.;)
The cabinet is my own design. This one is a prototype of about four configurations, that are stuck in my mixed up mind. This one does sound very good for a 2x12 cabinet. I've configured this one to be able to change out speaker configurations easily. The amp is about a 7-12 watt "boutiqe", hand wired, tube amp. which when cranked is loud enough to drive the mother-in-law out of the house.:rolleyes:

And Thanks to all for the nice comments and the WELCOME....

Jay Knoll
03-25-2006, 7:05 PM
WELCOME TED

Nice work, I like the way you built the deck around the pond (or did you build the pond inside the deck? LOL)

Jay

PS Tyler and Vaughn, it is TED Jay, not Jay Ted! Oh I can see some posting reference mix ups down the road.

Dennis Peacock
03-25-2006, 7:17 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ted. Nice looking projects you got there.

Ted Jay
03-25-2006, 8:07 PM
WELCOME TED

Nice work, I like the way you built the deck around the pond (or did you build the pond inside the deck? LOL)

Jay

PS Tyler and Vaughn, it is TED Jay, not Jay Ted! Oh I can see some posting reference mix ups down the road.
Thank you,
The pond came first, then the spa, the shed, and then the deck ties it all together. It was all planned out. I still have to finish the walkway between the house and shed. The pond is my wifes baby, she takes good care of it.
This pic is about 6 months old, the albino catfish is almost doubled in size.
I forgot to mention he's about 12" long in this pic

Ted Jay
03-27-2006, 6:40 AM
Good Lookin' Stuff, Ted. Welcome to the creek!

Only two things wrong.

1. We NEVER use the "B" word around here.

And

2. I don't see anything in the pictures that look like "Spinny things". Don't you have a lathe?

Bruce

No I don't have a lathe.... it's not a requirement is it..... do I have to leave now?...LOL

Funny though, while I was reviewing a for sale site, and came upon some lathes, my wife made a comment. "oh, that would be fun to have one of those!"

Jerry White
03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Where in Katy are you?

I live south of I-10 and off of 1463.

Pete Harbin
03-27-2006, 1:02 PM
Welcome Ted. Good to have you aboard! Wonderful job on your back yard!

Pete

Vaughn McMillan
03-27-2006, 1:21 PM
...PS Tyler and Vaughn, it is TED Jay, not Jay Ted! Oh I can see some posting reference mix ups down the road.
Doh! I'm an idiot sometimes. That's what I get for posting before I've had my morning caffine. :eek: Thanks for the heads-up Jay, and sorry for the dyslexia, Ted (and to do it to my long-lost twin brother, no less). :D

- Vaughn

Ken Salisbury
03-27-2006, 3:29 PM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Ted Jay
03-27-2006, 8:07 PM
I live south of I-10 and off of 1463.

Your very close. I'm at Grand Parkway & 1093, about 10 minutes away.

Ted Jay
03-27-2006, 8:09 PM
Doh! I'm an idiot sometimes. That's what I get for posting before I've had my morning caffine. :eek: Thanks for the heads-up Jay, and sorry for the dyslexia, Ted (and to do it to my long-lost twin brother, no less). :D

- Vaughn

That's okay,
I've been called by many other names, that can't be posted here... LOL