PDA

View Full Version : Salvage assistance needed ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
02-21-2003, 4:38 PM
I know none of you other turners have accidently gone too deep and made a hole in the bottom of a bowl, but does anyone have any suggestiions to salvage the carcass? I have thought of going ahead and turning a center hole and gluing in another type of contrasting wood, then finishing the inside and bottom again. Anyone have any luck with this type of rework? I have a good set of cole jaws, so the reworking won't be a problem, I just wondered how feasible this would be. I hate to admit it, but I have two or three from when I first started turning and I hate to toss them in the fireplace. I now have a wonderful, brand new homemade depth gauge to use from now on, as my depth perception must be a tad off. Thanks in advance.

Angelo Schembari
02-21-2003, 9:05 PM
I've done it once or twice. I had the same problem feeling bad about throwing out a piece that I put so much time into. Both pieces I glued together came out OK. Now I just burn em. too much wood, too little time. My .02

02-21-2003, 11:41 PM
I may try one just to experience the pain you went through. I'll probably make the same decision you came to.

John Miliunas
02-22-2003, 12:10 AM
..you can use them as funnels. (G):D

Bill Grumbine
02-22-2003, 12:33 PM
Gee Ron, I don't know if I've ever done that. :D I have one I show to students as to what happens when one is rushed by SWMBO, such as (And this actually happened with this bowl), when the turner hears her lilting voice calling down the stairs, "ARE YOU COMING TO DINNER OR NOT?!?"

You idea of a plug is a good one. There are also other options, such as epoxy, acrylic fillers, all kinds of stuff. a friend of mine who regularly goes through bowl bottoms has tried all sorts of stuff. He has gone through so many that around here, we can a bowl with a hole in the bottom a Norris Bowl. Now, Norris is an extremely accomplished turner and carver. He just constantly pushes the limit to see how thin he can go, and he has lots of experience in fixing things.

Good luck with it. At the least, keep it for a reminder, and if you want, check my personal web site (http://www.enter.net/~ultradad). There is an article complete with illustrations on how to make a bowl depth gauge.

Bill

02-22-2003, 3:26 PM
I look at your websight at least once a week to make sure I'm not missing anything. You've been a real inspiration to me when I started woodturning. I would like to email you sometime on setting up a visit to your neck of the woods and meet you personally. I've heard nothing but good things from all I've talked to. You come highly recommended. I actually used your site to make my depth gauge ... if that's okay. I'm getting more and more into turning, having been at it for a few months now. I took a class at Woodcraft last week to learn proper tool orientationa dn sharpening tips. The instructor kept reminding me it was a tool usage class, not a bowl making lesson. I have a short class coming next weekend on making pens. I think that will be fun to do, having never done it. Thanks again for all of your advice, here and on the Pond. It's appreciated alot by us newbies.

Ron

Bill Grumbine
02-22-2003, 5:58 PM
Ron, if you've been checking me website on a weekly basis, then you know I haven't done much with it for a loooong time. :eek: I actually have some things I want to get up on it, turning and otherwise, but stuff just keeps getting in the way.

I'd be glad to have you up for a visit. the shop door is always open.

Bill