PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw

dennis kranz
03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
Anybody ever used a Central Machinery 14 inch bandsaw. Either the 4 speed or the single. To be used for cutting blanks. Price seems right at 289.00. From Harbor Freight. Haven't been able to find anything on it one way or other.
Dennis

John Hart
03-25-2006, 6:57 AM
Interesting Dennis...They say that the single speed saw is 1HP but don't say the horsepower of the multispeed. That single speed unit has the same physical dimensions as my Delta but has more HP than mine. I paid $400. Looks pretty good!!

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 7:00 AM
Dennis - The resaw capacity of your bandsaw should equal or exceed the bed to headstock dimension of your lathe.

tod evans
03-25-2006, 7:08 AM
dennis, bargain tools usually are not a deal in the long run.....02 tod

Bob Noles
03-25-2006, 7:52 AM
Dennis,

I purchased the 4 speed HF bandsaw about a year ago and have been very satisfied with it. Hold out and watch their sales and in store coupons and you can get it for around $200 on a really good day. This saw cuts as good as any saw out there if you get some good replacement blades for it. I spent almost a month asking around and researching which name to buy. Ended up with a fairly large group of folks who own and use this machine on a daily basis with great satisfaction finally convinced me to go for the savings and use common sense in making my decision. You will need to get a good fence to go on it and there are many plans available out there to build one.

Best of luck on toiling with that decision. You will be pulled in both directions in getting advice on making your decision :rolleyes:

Christopher K. Hartley
03-25-2006, 9:57 AM
Dennis - The resaw capacity of your bandsaw should equal or exceed the bed to headstock dimension of your lathe.

Andy is right, I got the Jet 12" and wish I had waited and gotten the 14. I also noticed that when you look at the Jet, the Delta, the Rigid and the HF models they all appear to be manufactured by the same place but with different names. I know that happens because I did some of that type of work years ago with the Coleman Co.

I will also say though that resaw capacity is only one of the considerations the other big one is wallet capacity.

George Conklin
03-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Andy is right, I got the Jet 12" and wish I had waited and gotten the 14.

That's funny, Chris. I bought the 14" Jet and wish I would have bought the 18":confused:

George

Robert Mickley
03-25-2006, 10:22 AM
That's funny, Chris. I bought the 14" Jet and wish I would have bought the 18":confused:

George

So what your saying George is I should hold out for a 20+ inch saw? :D

dennis kranz
03-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. Some good advise. Will let you all know what happens.
Dennis