PDA

View Full Version : woodworking channel

craig carlson
03-24-2006, 10:46 PM
So, no one over here watching todays' debut of the woodworking channel?
Craig

Dave Fifield
03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Don't see it on my satellite RX Craig. I have Dish Network. Channel 238 is named "WWOR" but the programming is just junk news and stuff, and I'm not subscribed to it either apparently. We get all the usual WW progs on channel 111 (DIY Network). What are you receiving on?

Dave F.

Gary Keedwell
03-24-2006, 11:14 PM
;) It is on=line. It is a website.

Larry Cooke
03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
So, no one over here watching todays' debut of the woodworking channel?
Does anyone have a link? I recall coming across it a while ago, but my memory isn't what it used to be...

Larry

Matt Meiser
03-25-2006, 12:12 AM
http://www.thewoodworkingchannel.com

They seem to have a pretty good lineup of shows. Too bad you can only view the video in a tiny window or full screen. :confused:

Larry Cooke
03-25-2006, 12:50 AM
They seem to have a pretty good lineup of shows. Too bad you can only view the video in a tiny window or full screen. :confused: Thanks for the link Matt!

I agree, plus I seem to have a bandwidth problem. So far I have had to restart all of the clips, not sure if I'm selecting the wrong speed choice but I have cable with 5m down speed but there's a lot of clipping of the video.

So far my impression is that there isn't any buffering at all, I'm not sure if this is intentional (prevent us from fast forwarding past any commercials or what not) but for me I enjoy the commercials as much as the show assuming the commercials are for tools or wood of course.

Larry

[Edit] Disregard the bandwidth issue. Short circuit between the seat and keyboard, I chose the 100k speed and it seems to be working now....

Dave Fifield
03-25-2006, 1:05 AM
I'm streaming it at the highest setting without any issues. Thanks for pointing us at this Craig and thanks for the link Matt. Now I'm not going to get ANYTHING done......:p :D

Dave F.

Jason Tuinstra
03-25-2006, 1:05 AM
Craig... thanks for the post... I think. 24/7 woodworking TV. Ahhh!!!! How am I supposed to do anything now ;) :D

Pretty cool site!

Vaughn McMillan
03-25-2006, 4:56 AM
A bad thing...this will be a very bad thing. As if I already had bucketloads of spare time. :eek: :p

- Vaughn

Jay Knoll
03-25-2006, 6:00 AM
Not working on my computer.

Well I downloaded the latest Media player, checked all the settings according to the channel and still can't get video.

I'm on a cable modem, good speed. Heck I just watched the American Idol clips to check the system. It works fine but when I go to the WW Channel all I get is a spinning gear.

Maybe the universe is trying to protect me from another time sucking internet hole and telling me to get back to the shop

Jay

Jim Hinze
03-25-2006, 7:07 AM
I've been pretty lucky, been watching all morning now and am completely hooked... What a wonderfull concept.

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 7:23 AM
In one of the earlier messages from Reed, he suggested that (ugh) MSIE would be the best browser to view it in.

I can view the video just fine regardless of what browser I use - but the Nav Buttons on the left aren't working for me. Grrrr.

Tim Burke
03-25-2006, 7:24 AM
It's free??!!?? I thought that this was going to be a subscription service. I'm in trouble now - I'll be spending too much time there!:eek:

The videos are working fine for me at the max bandwidth over cable modem. There is an icon to watch full screen. In full screen it's decent resolution (esp for free), similar to a vhs tape. Right now I'm watching Sam Maloof - pretty interesting. Hope this format works since the amount of regualr tv content is almost completely replaced with cutesy fix up shows.

Tim

Jay Knoll
03-25-2006, 8:40 AM
My "travel computer" is a Mac, since I can't see the program on the XP machine I thought I'd try the other computer.

Opened up, typed in the URL and we're off and running, no problems -- on a wireless network too.

Let's see, am I going to keep bashing my head to get the XP machine running?

I don't think so

Jay

Maybe I should just throw the XP machine in the trash

Mark Singer
03-25-2006, 8:43 AM
I will have to squeeze it in between American Idol , 24....and some woodworking projects I am making.....I can't do all of them at the same time:confused:

Rick Gibson
03-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Worked for me and that is not a good thing. Don't have enough time in my day as it is.

Norm Belleville
03-25-2006, 10:51 AM
First let me say this is great. Lots of great info and will be addictive.. BUT!!!!!

Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? The picture is only about 3 ¾ by 2 ¾ and when I go full screen it is very distorted. I have Sprint DSL and the feed sometime hesitates (stops and go). Is there anything I can do to help these old eyes enjoy this better.

craig carlson
03-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Hi,

My screen also is small and very pixelated when I go large But on the second day of streaming I'd say A screaming success.

Craig

Jim Young
03-25-2006, 11:18 PM
First let me say this is great. Lots of great info and will be addictive.. BUT!!!!!

Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? The picture is only about 3 ¾ by 2 ¾ and when I go full screen it is very distorted. I have Sprint DSL and the feed sometime hesitates (stops and go). Is there anything I can do to help these old eyes enjoy this better.

I get the same thing over cable, when enlarged the quality is so low that I can't really get a good feel for things like cuts and wood grain. Hopefully that is something that will be improved in the future.

Helen Gee
03-26-2006, 2:55 AM
If you can hook up the computer or laptop to a tv, the quality is not so bad. Resolution on the computer looks horrible using full res, but since there are lower scan lines? or resolution, it doesn't look as bad?

we hooked up the laptop to the tv and watched it for hours last night :eek: , ugh, not to mention watched it for a couple of hours at work :D ...err, it was in the background of course while I was ..working :p

Per Swenson
03-26-2006, 8:44 AM
Help!

I need a computer genius to explain to me

how to block a web page. Lets call it true Parental

control. I thought I had this problem knocked when I blocked

the cooking channel on the kitchen TV, Darn near starved.

But now they have gone and thrown a wrench in the

metaphorical bread and butter of the woodworking economy.

Maybe I should just hide the chairs?

Give me strength.

Per

Gary Keedwell
03-26-2006, 10:09 AM
I'm trying to find the schedule. Hit the Nav. button ~nothing happens. This site is hard to Navigate or am I dum?

Luther Oswalt
03-26-2006, 10:45 AM
This is neat ... I had not heard of it until today, so thanks!
Leo

Harry Goodwin
03-26-2006, 2:58 PM
I am already enjoying it.
I downloaded latest Flash thing and Media but how do you tell what Internet explorer number I have.
Also it plays on all three choices ended in broadband but what's the preferred or difference.
The voice on Sam Maloof needs some help and I don't think it's his fault. Harry

Larry Klaaren
03-26-2006, 3:17 PM
I had to tell my woodworking friends this morning to avoid checking it out. I'm afraid that this will use up all available time.

Works well here. Only problem I had is the schedule is in such a small area of the screen. I hit F11 to get full screen viewing of the website, leaving the video in mine-view.Then I can use the schedule. If you right click on the menu at the top after hitting F11, you can check autohide, and then you have nothing on the screen but the web-site. Works on any website.

Larry