PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Belaire aircompressors?

Allen Bookout
03-24-2006, 9:14 PM
I am shopping for a larger aircompressor and the most for the money seems to be the Belaire. Anyone know anything about this brand. Advertised to be made in America.

Specifically I am looking at the BEL6061Vw (autobodystore.net) and the 6061V (alltiresupply.com). The specs seem to be the same but different paint jobs. I do not know the difference except the Vw model is about $30 more but from a different supplier.

Here are the specs for the 0661V. The Vw model does not list the pump:
HP 6
PUMP B3800
MOTOR VOLT / PHASE 208V or 230V / 1
TANK CAP (Gal.) 60V
CFM DISP. 16.80
ACFM @ 40 PSI 14.55
ACFM @ 100 PSI 12.35
MAX. PSI 130
REC. DRYER N / AAt least they list the actual CFM instead of a calculated amount. That makes me feel better as they should have been tested.

The first picture is of the Vw and the second picture is of the V. The Vw sure look like that it means business more than the V.

Any informations would be appreciated. I know that a two stage would be better but I will be lucky to put 100 hours a year on it so I do not think that the extra cost would be justified. Allen

CPeter James
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Not to be cruel, but this is junk. The motor is at max, 3 hp as the specs show 15 Amps at 240V. A true 5 hp is at least 22 amps 240V. For the LESS money, you can go to any HD and get a similar unit and have someone to back it up and no shipping hassle. Just remember it is NOT a 6 hp two stage compressor and its output is limited.

Also for the same money, you can get an IR Type 30 TWO stage unit that will put out the same volume at 175 psi and that is a lot more air.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200318461_200318461
Do yourself a favor and don't buy it.

CPeter

Allen Bookout
03-24-2006, 10:17 PM
CPeter,

The cost of the one on the link that you offered is nearly double the cost of the Belaires. How about this one? It is still $150 more than the Belaires but probably worth the extra--or is it? I mainly just need extra air for a pressure feed HVLP gun and rare use of some air tools. Thanks for the reply! Allen

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_211720_211720

Jerry White
03-25-2006, 12:45 AM
Allen,

From the spec's for the Bellaire compressor that you asked about, I would guess that the actual horsepower is about 3. In addition to the link that CPeter gave you, take a look at these two units. They are not quite as heavy duty as the one CPeter pointed you to, and therefore priced somewhat less.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_158284_158284

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_211720_211720

In case you have a Tractor Supply in your area, their prices for these units are $499.40 and $742.38 respectively.

I just researched the market on stationary compressors in this price range and ended up buying the IR SS3L3. I can't tell you how it performs, as I have not yet installed it.

Good luck,

Jerry

Barry O'Mahony
03-25-2006, 2:40 AM
"Roll Air" brand compressors are well known in the auto-shop world. It sounds like "Belaire" is intended to sound like that brand. Sorta like those Walkman's you see in the stores with the name "Coby", in the same typeface that Sony uses for their logo.

CPeter James
03-25-2006, 7:22 PM
Allen, I'm sorry I did not get back sooner, but I have away all day. This is a case where i would spend a little more if necessary to get a unit that can be serviced. If you look in the yellow pages, you will find dealers in "Air Compressors" listed. Check out some of them and see what they are offering. There are several good American made brands and this is sizable investment and you want lengthly service from it. Air compressors have a lot of moving, wearing parts and eventually it will need service. I like IR because there is a dealer less than 5 miles away and another one 30 miles away. When I need a gasket of something else, support is there. That said, a high quality unit should run a long, long time without any service other
than changing the oil and filters, just like a car. Compressors bought form HD, TSC, Sam's club, etc. can be hard to get serviced. I am a guy that like tools and likes to put my hands on them BEFORE I take them home. The local air compressors hops around here also have used or refurbishmentsunits that are in many ways better than some of the new ones for the same money. Sometimes, older is better than new. Even if you don't buy from an air compressor shop, go and talk to them about what to look for. I have found that they were most helpful and if the could not meet my needs (don't have consumer grade products), they can guide you in the right direction.

CPeter

Ken Garlock
03-25-2006, 8:46 PM
Allen, it all comes down to how often do you want to buy an air compressor. You can buy an Ingersoll Rand compressor and have it for the remainder of your life. When buying tools, buy quality and spend your money once.

There are two kinds of compressors, Ingersoll Rand, and others.

Allen Bookout
03-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Well---I know that you guys are correct. It is just that I am the kind of guy that wants something for nothing. I do not know why I get in that mood sometimes as I know that the results are not good. I have never regretted buying a quality tool whenever I have decided to part with my money. I am just not up on compressors so appreciate the advise.

It looks like that Ingersoll Rand is the clear winner.

I have not thought of looking for shops that deal in compressors so will pursue that route for awhile. I see one 36 miles away and another 50 miles away. I suppose some calls Monday are in order.

Thanks a million!!! Allen

Norman Hitt
03-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Allen, When buying tools, buy quality and spend your money once.

There are two kinds of compressors, Ingersoll Rand, and others.

Hey, Ken, Ya Fergot "QUINCY".:D

CPeter James
03-26-2006, 7:48 AM
One thing about dealing with a local shop that sells and services compressors is that they don't sell junk. They depend on quality and service to stay in business.

CPeter

tod evans
03-26-2006, 8:06 AM
while we`re talking about compressors there`s a "new guy" on the block. when dewalt bought out emglo and moved opperations overseas some of the emglo employees decided they still wanted to stay in business.....so in the same factory, by the same folks who used to build emglo a new brand is being made j-air is what they named the old/new company. my friend who owns the local supply house has dropped ingersol and quincy and is now dealing with j-air.. i`ve not used these units but have seen them in the flesh and spoke to the president of the company and they`re serious contenders in the compressor marketplace..and offer support for the american made emglo units........02 tod

Dave Lehnert
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
IR is a great compressor but may be more than he needs if you read his post. I have a Craftsman 25ga 5Hp unit 240volt. I was told at the time not to buy such a small unit I would be sorry. I have owned it for 15 years and only sorry I purchased one so big. I have never ever needed anything bigger. Remember I have a wood shop not an auto body shop. I have a little Senco unit that must be only one gallon. I run all my nail guns on it with no problem. Not the thing for a pro but for me perfect.

Ken Garlock
03-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey, Ken, Ya Fergot "QUINCY".:D

Norm, I have heard that the Quincy is a good machine. But from my side of the fence, ceteris paribus, I would choose the IR.

Allen Bookout
03-26-2006, 12:18 PM
I need the compressor to run a HVLP gun that takes an average of 12.5 CFM and I only need that a few times a month for the most part. The other things that I run require less air than that such as nailers. Very rarely I use it to power a sander or impact gun for short durations.

I cannot find a ready source for a Quincy. The Ingersoll Rands are readily avaiable. The IR Type 30 compressors, starting at $1150, I am sure are top notch and made to withstand eight hour useage six days a week which is out of my league. The way I look at it, it seems that the basic Ingersoll Rand 5HP, 60 gallon, 15.5CFM at 90psi (periodic heavy use), for just under $800 would be my best buy. Below is a link to the unit I am talking about. I would probably buy from Tractor Supply as they are in stock locally and just as cheap even after adding the local tax. I realize that I will not have dealer suppot but what else are you going to do for this kind of money. Is my thinking in line with what I need or am I missing something?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._211720_211720 (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_211720_211720)

I am not discounting compressor dealers and will give a call to the only two within one hundred miles of where I Iive Monday. I could not find out anything about J-air on line but may be the dealers will know something. I suspect that they are expensive also.

Thanks! Allen

Barry O'Mahony
03-26-2006, 4:11 PM
Allen, that looks awfully nice for that price, especially with free shipping. Although I notice it's an extra $75 to extend the warranty to 2 years; although they do throw in 4 quarts of synthetic oil and two air filters for that price.