PDA

View Full Version : A New House-Update #39 Long-With Pix

Karl Laustrup
03-24-2006, 6:36 PM
Friday March 24th, 2006

I met with Sean & Rob last night. They are the ones doing the flooring, setting the cabinets, hanging the doors and doing the finish trim work. They weren't supposed to start until Monday, but one of their jobs ended sooner than expected so they wanted to get a head start on mine.

I arrived this morning at 7:30 to find Sean & Rob already busy. They had moved all the boxes of hickory into the bathrooms or kitchen. All joints in the floor sheathing had been sanded and any screws protruding had been beat into submission. They already had a couple of boxes laid out in the living room and hallway. And the bedroom that will be Tama's was half done. This was by 7:30 this morning! I was afraid to ask what time they started.
This is Tama's room. The picture does not do this flooring justice.
My mom's room. When I took this pic her room was only about 1/2 done.
The living room looking toward the hallway. Couldn't get a pic of the hallway as they are covering areas done with cardboard as a precaution.

When I left today at 2:30 they had the living room about 3/4 done and said they would be back tomorrow morning to finish the floor, set the cabinets and install all the doors. They need to get that all done by Monday as that's when another guy will be in to do the kitchen floor, bathroom floors, laundry floor and the tile in the shower and around the tub. Then they'll be back to do the trim work. They expect to be completley done by next Thursday.

The cabinets got delivered today and Sean & Rob stopped to help get them into the house.
This is one of the corner cabinets. Had to take it out of it's protective wrap to get it in the house.

Sean & Rob are the epitome of a well oiled machine. No wasted movements and they each do a specific job.

I may do another update Sunday as the flooring and cabinets should be in.

It's getting closer.

Thanks for looking.

Karl

Don Baer
03-24-2006, 6:43 PM
Wow Karl. From the looks of things you got real lucky on all of the tradesmen except the plumber. It's looking real good.

Brett Baldwin
03-25-2006, 12:16 PM
You need to package whatever your subs are eating and drinking and create an energy meal marketing campaiign. Wow.
We had some contractors at work who framed and drywalled a two story office addition (inside a warehouse) and it took them a week. Then the electricians took another week to run all six outlets and the lights and put up some ducting. And none of them have been seen for two weeks now. What did you say the number is for your GC?

John Kain
03-25-2006, 12:19 PM
Good Lord that looks nice. I really, really like the flooring with the wood being different tones. I swear, that's exactly what I'm looking for in my next house (in 1 1/2 years.)......

Great pics, great post....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Karl.......I know this house is costing you a bundle......but you really ought to consider throwing a heck of a party for the GC and subs after this is finished! These folks are treating you right! I mean really right! Congrats Karl and keep the photos coming!

Jim O'Dell
03-25-2006, 12:56 PM
Karl.......I know this house is costing you a bundle......but you really ought to consider throwing a heck of a party for the GC and subs after this is finished! These folks are treating you right! I mean really right! Congrats Karl and keep the photos coming!

Ken, I'll quote you here for added effect. Get a bunch of steaks and bake a bunch of potatoes and put together a nice tossed salad. The only problem I see, is it looks like these guys never stop working...how would you get them there for the shindig??? Jim.

Andy Hoyt
03-25-2006, 1:24 PM
A great idea.

Karl - Back when I was building houses in CA, I always kept track of every warm body who set foot on the project to do work - even if it was to deliver something. And at the end of said project the owner and I would throw a big party and invite everyone from the list. Did I say big party? I meant huge; with no expense spared.

The dividends (good will, referrals, responsiveness, etc) for the owner, the subs, and myself were equally huge. You should absitively do this.

Jerry Olexa
03-25-2006, 10:37 PM
Karl...Like that floor..Very natural, warm looking..You'll be moving in soon. Again, you are blessed w good subs.
I've always said "cheeseheads" are good people,,,

John Miliunas
03-25-2006, 11:02 PM
You know, I've always dreamed of a nice wood floor in my own shop, but Karl, this is just over the top!!! :D I'd be afraid of dropping a tool and taking a chip out of it and I really do hope you're considering a more utilitarian area for staining/finishing!!! :) And, like the other guys have said, a nice big party for the GC and subs!!! Then, you when you get them back to build the house, you'll be guaranteed just as good a service!:D Lookin' good, buddy! :) :cool:

Jim Becker
03-26-2006, 9:33 AM
Yummy floors!