PDA

View Full Version : This old crack house

Scott Loven
03-24-2006, 2:32 PM
I watched the first episode of TOH Washington DC Crack house conversion last night. Kevin almost fainted when Mi Casa told him that the construction and landscaping budget was only 200K! Kevin said that that is usually the budget for one of their kitchen redews!
http://thisoldhouse.earthcam.com/dc/index.php

Scott

Tyler Howell
03-24-2006, 3:24 PM
They are 1/2 way through the project on our local PBS. Really shaping up. Only 5% over budget.

Bill Lewis
03-24-2006, 3:30 PM
I'd have to say that they are getting quite a few material and other donations on this job. It's the only way they are staying close to their budget. They've gotten to the "back yard" episode here. It's easily a $15 to $20k job for this (DC/MD/VA) area.
BTW, The bedroom floor has 18' ceilings! I think it would have been wiser to build a loft area for a home office or something.

Jim Becker
03-24-2006, 4:11 PM
I had to chuckle when we got the various proprosals from architects for our prospective home addition...the one fellow's estimate for the project was $150K more than we paid for the whole property, including the house and shop building. He didn't make the cut.

That said, TOH projects over the last few years have gotten to be very big-budget, especially since WGBH no longer produces the show. Even the small jobs are "big" financially. I would have loved trying to get them to do our project, but we didn't hit on PowerBall... :D

Stan Mijal
03-24-2006, 7:14 PM
Acouple of years ago, they were remodeling a kitchen. After getting 3/4 of the way through they weere speaking with the homeowner. She said despite the few changes, she was happy with the result and being only $40,000 OVER budget wasn't bad to her!
In my neighborhood $40K is the ENTIRE budget for a great redo! :)

TOH is definitely targeting a small segment of the population. I prefer something like Hometime, where a more realistic budget is usually in order.

Matt Meiser
03-24-2006, 8:48 PM
Detroit PBS is only on the second episode, so don't spill the beans! Last night they were putting in the water line and had gutted the entire house.

Chris Damm
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Grand Rapids PBS still has one to go on that modern box thing. The budget for teak must have been $200,000!

Matt Meiser
03-24-2006, 11:52 PM
Grand Rapids PBS still has one to go on that modern box thing. The budget for teak must have been $200,000!

Just the Thos. Moser bill on that project would probably break the average household.

Dick Aubochon
03-25-2006, 6:04 AM
Just the Thos. Moser bill on that project would probably break the average household.

I work around Boston, and let me tell you: that is one ugly house!!

tod evans
03-25-2006, 7:06 AM
I work around Boston, and let me tell you: that is one ugly house!!

nice signiture dick!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-25-2006, 7:17 AM
nice signiture dick!

I'll second that! ;)

Dick Aubochon
03-25-2006, 9:16 AM
nice signiture dick!

Thanks guys.

I change it a bit from time to time to read "Engines move the body, sails move the soul....."