PDA

View Full Version : Ever see one of these...OLD IRON

john whittaker
03-24-2006, 2:23 PM
For those who are interested in OLD IRON...Came across this band saw during a recent business trip. Found it in the corner of "The National Museum of Carousel Art" in Hood River, Or. The owner told me he thought it was a 1921 vintage. They still use in in their restoration work.

Anyway, I looked it up over at the OWWM site and found nothing. Has anyone ever seen this before or heard of The Eaton Machine Co.?

lou sansone
03-24-2006, 4:21 PM
For those who are interested in OLD IRON...Came across this band saw during a recent business trip. Found it in the corner of "The National Museum of Carousel Art" in Hood River, Or. The owner told me he thought it was a 1921 vintage. They still use in in their restoration work.

Anyway, I looked it up over at the OWWM site and found nothing. Has anyone ever seen this before or heard of The Eaton Machine Co.?

neat, but have not seen one before
lou

Vaughn McMillan
03-24-2006, 4:28 PM
Cool-looking old saw. Looks like the dust collection would be a bit spotty. ;) Is the saw body made of wood?

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
03-27-2006, 10:02 AM
John, In trying to track down some info for you, here's what has come to me so far. This is an email reply from one of my inquiries.

Hi Mark,
I made some inquiries about the Eaton company here in
town and not much is known about them. It is possible
that they were part of another company that needed
band-saws here in Dolgeville, called North Hudson
Woodcraft. The Eaton company did make some saws for
them also. I will ask some other people I know and
get back to you later.

Best regards,
Larry Austin

I've got a couple other inquiries out as well. I'll let you know what else I find/get.

Rod Torgeson
03-27-2006, 10:25 AM
John......You were about 25 miles from where I live. I live across the Columbia River on the Washington side and then a few miles east and a few miles north. Next time I am in Hood River I will have to look up that museum. Thanks for the post. Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Mark Rios
06-15-2006, 9:45 PM
John, this is the latest reply from the guy looking into this.

Hi Mark, Sorry for the long response time again. I didn't find anything about the saw but it could have been used in the sounding board factory or the lumber mill. Alfred Dolge left town around 1899 so the saw has been around a while. Another one of his machines used for making piano hammers turned up in Canada last year and is still being used. Most of his stuff was sold so that's how it might have turned up out there. When he left here he did go to California and start a town out there that he named Dolgeville, present day Alhambra in Los Angeles county, so it might be from out there too. I hope this helped a little, I'll keep my eyes open for any other information on the factory and the saw. If I find anything I'll let you know. Jeremy

Kinda neato.