PDA

View Full Version : EEEWEEE boy clear sinus's

Jim Davenport
03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
A neighbor had a chunk of tree that the garbage people wouldn't take. I saw it when I was walking Dogzilla. I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out my new Talon chuck.
Had a few problems. the log caught and bent my new 1/2 bandsaw plade.
Discovered that the wood was "Camphor" right then.
After cutting to rough shape, I ran it between centers to rough shape it, and cut a tenon for the chuck. First time with green wood. You guys are right about "curly chips". Boy the magic Garage smells like a hospital. My sinus's are the clearest they've been in years.:eek:
I then mounted the new Talon on the Venerable Shopsmith. and went to town.
Anyway I've now got Rough shaped bowl that has about 22% moisture content. I'm going to put it in a big freezer bag for a while, and see what happens.
Here's a photo for the "PP"

Mike Ramsey
03-24-2006, 1:05 PM
Jim, a freezer bag might not be a good idea, it would grow green fuzz
all over it (mold). I would consider a paper bag just IMHO, or use the
alchy method.

Raymond Overman
03-24-2006, 1:23 PM
If you do use the freezer bag method, turn it inside out every 3-4 days and use a twist tie to seal it. You're creating a micro-climate that is dry every three to four days. The moisture will want to go to equilibrium. I've used this method with a trash bag and a layer of newspaper. Change the newspaper when you turn the bag inside out.

Ted Okolichany
03-24-2006, 8:23 PM
I turn camphor green many times. You can turn it green to finish with very little or any movement. I have a few big logs sitting in my turning wood pile that was bought up from Florida.

TED