PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker Lift - Hole Size?

Russ Filtz
03-24-2006, 8:13 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but can the PRL lift take big 3+" panel bits? Would be pretty bad if it didn't! I didn't see the max hole size on the website, just the large ring which is 2+".

Is the PRL better than the non-digital smartlift?

Andy London
03-24-2006, 8:18 AM
Yes, I am at the office but I was making panels last evening with a 2 3/4" bit with room to spare....not sure the exact size with all the rings removed.

Frank Chaffee
03-24-2006, 9:51 AM
Russ,
My UniLift, which uses the same rings as the PRL, has a clear opening of about 3 ¾”.
If you buy the ring set, you will not duplicate any of the rings provided with your lift.
Frank

Dick Bringhurst
03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
The ID on mine is 3 3/4" with no insert. Dick B.

Russ Filtz
03-24-2006, 1:21 PM
Thanks all. The PRL looks like a good lift, but i didn't want to worry about the big bits. now to decide on a motor, PC or Milwaukee!

Ken Garlock
03-24-2006, 3:29 PM
Thanks all. The PRL looks like a good lift, but i didn't want to worry about the big bits. now to decide on a motor, PC or Milwaukee!

Russ, you can get the PC 7818 3.25 Hp motor over at Rockler. Woodpecker used to carry them, but quit because there was no profit in them. I got mine from Rockler. BTW, Rockler is sold out of them until after the 27th.

Mark Rios
03-24-2006, 3:56 PM
Do I understand correctly that the PC needs two wrenches for the collet? I see that the Milwaukee does. Isn't this something that the manufacturers should have addressed by now. I'm just an amature but it sure is nice to be able to chuck up a bit from above the table. Is there something I'm missing?

Ken Garlock
03-24-2006, 5:41 PM
Do I understand correctly that the PC needs two wrenches for the collet? I see that the Milwaukee does. Isn't this something that the manufacturers should have addressed by now. I'm just an amature but it sure is nice to be able to chuck up a bit from above the table. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes Mark, the PC needs 2 wrenches that come with the router. I just recently bought the WoodPecker offset wrenches, and now I wonder why I didn't buy them sooner.

In the yellow arena, my DeWalt 621 has a push button that engages a dog in the router shaft thus requiring just one wrench.

Mark Rios
03-24-2006, 6:30 PM
Thanks very much. My Freud is the one wrench type also. I assume that there is enough room for the two offset wrenches from above the table in both these tools? My Freud is sometimes a little tight for the one wrench due to parts of the base protruding out into the hole. I have to be careful to not bounce off one of the protrusions and hit/chip the bit.:eek:

Sounds like the PC 7518 might be getting some competition from the Milwaukee. I don't know about the new Freud large routers but my FT2000 won't take bits that are too big. The opening of the Woodpecker phenolic plate is 3 3/8" while the net clearance in the router base is only 2 3/8". I use a Router Raizer kit so I don't have a lift plate. However, when I upgrade I'll now have this info to look back on to make sure that I get compatible components.

Thanks to you all and let us know what you get Russ.

Russ Filtz
03-24-2006, 9:29 PM
I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee vs the PC. One thread here has said the venerable PC has slipped a bit being made in China. The Milwaukee is supposedly made in Japan?