PDA

View Full Version : new to site

jeremy king
03-24-2006, 1:16 AM
hello all. I'm new to woodworking and am trying to cram my brain full of info. I got the basic knowledge and kinda know my way around a shop. I just bought my first table saw today and need ideas for projects. The first thing I need to make is a cd cabinet that holds four hundred cd's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Becker
03-24-2006, 9:13 AM
Welcome to SMC, Jeremy.

Perhaps if you describe the type/size of CD rack you want to make, other members will be better equipped to make suggestions. Wall mount? Floor standing? Sized for how many "new purchases" in the future? Etc. There is a lot of ground that could be covered here!!

tod evans
03-24-2006, 9:20 AM
welcome jeremy! one of the slickest cd storage units i`ve found is an 80gig hard drive......02 tod

Ken Salisbury
03-24-2006, 9:23 AM
http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/welcomeplane.gif

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Frank Chaffee
03-24-2006, 2:52 PM
The first thing I need to make is a cd cabinet that holds four hundred cd's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome Jeremy,
You may wish to start here for some ideas;
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fest-21.htm
Frank

Von Bickley
03-24-2006, 3:05 PM
Jeremy,

Welcome to SMC and congratulations on your new saw.:)

John Stevens
03-24-2006, 3:39 PM
hello all. I'm new to woodworking and am trying to cram my brain full of info. I got the basic knowledge and kinda know my way around a shop. I just bought my first table saw today and need ideas for projects. The first thing I need to make is a cd cabinet that holds four hundred cd's. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Jeremy, welcome. I'm working on a similar problem, er project, right now. What I decided to do was to make several CD cabinets that each hold a smaller number of CDs. I can't spell out all the steps from start to finish, but I hope you'll be able to figure out the details for yourself if I just sketch out the main points. I'm just finishing the prototype now, and unfortunately I don't have any pics. But here goes:

Make a four-sided box consisting of the front, back and sides of the cabinet. You'll add the top and bottom later. Use furniture-grade plywood or a similar material that will stay flat and have minimal movement. It's possible to use frame and panel construction instead, but that's not how I'm doing it.

Make the inside depth of the cabinet slightly deeper than a CD case. Make the outside dimensions of the cabinet as high and wide as you want, within the weight and strength limits of the materials and hinges. Make all of the pieces the full length and width/depth of the outside, because you'll be mitering the edges (unless you use frame and panel construction).

After you cut the four sides, mask the areas that will be glued when you attach the top, bottom and any fixed shelves, then apply at least one coat of finish. The idea of adding a coat of finish is to make it easier to remove any glue that squeezes out of the joints when you glue the sides together.

Now miter the edges, and before you glue it all up, bore the holes for adjustable shelves if you're going to use them. Glue it up, one joint at a time. After the glue sets up, separate the door from the rest of the cabinet by ripping the box up both sides, about 1 1/2 inches from the front edge. Add hinges, and the door will fit the case perfectly.

Now cut the top, bottom and fixed shelves to size. I inset them, simply gluing them in place with only a biscuit in the back edge. You could use dowels, splines or pocket screws instead, but plan ahead because you might need to do some of that work before you glue the case together. Once the top and bottom are inset into the case, you can add decorative molding to the top and bottom, or add feet and legs to the bottom and a pediment or applied top, or whatever suits your tastes.

The basic design is boring and monolithic if you don't add some sort of surface treatment. Options include paint and shadow lines. Frame and panel construction will also give you the opportunity to add some visual interest.

Hope this helps.

jeremy king
03-24-2006, 4:41 PM
I'm shooting for 22"x 50" . I don't have any space on the wall so a floor type would be best. My main concern is making it sturdy enough to sit on carpet. I'm coing to colorado springs sunday and was wondering if anyone knows of any places to get good cheap hard wood their. I have less than a hundred dollars to spend. well with my wife around I'd be lucky to have that. any suggestions

Don Baer
03-24-2006, 4:58 PM
Jeremy,
It realy depends on the type equiptment you have in your shop.

You could get some 3/4" ply to make the case. One sheet would do then either make face from from the solid wood of the same species. Make the shelves out of playwood and edge band them, It's going to be a challenge to do it within your budget but it is doable.

lou sansone
03-24-2006, 7:14 PM
welcome to the creek

lou

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2006, 7:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jeremy..!!!!! Great place to hang out, learn about stuff, ask questions, and find answers.

Just don't ask too many questions about making screen doors. You won't get very many answers. :rolleyes: :p :D

Congrats on the new TS. Just be safe and enjoy the hobby!!!