PDA

View Full Version : ISP woes

Kevin Gerstenecker
08-12-2003, 9:47 PM
I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the latest "Worm" Virus going around, but AOL has been a real pain lately. Slow is being kind! But, all is not lost............we are getting Charter Pipeline Cable Internet Service Wednesday.............DSL is not yet available in our little corner of the world, or I would sign up for that. I can't wait to finally get some real speed going! Hopefully, the setup for the Cable Modem won't have me pulling my hair out! Just Can't wait! :D

Jim Becker
08-12-2003, 10:03 PM
You'll enjoy the broadband service, Kevin. But be sure you at least have a software firewall on your machine like ZoneAlarm and consider using a hardware firewall in adiition to that, such as one of the Linksys products. "Always-on" means just that! There is too much nastiness out there so be sure you are protected.

Enjoy the pickup in speed and don't look back to that overpriced AOL thing!!

Bruce Page
08-12-2003, 10:04 PM
Kevin, we have had cable for almost two years now and every once in a while I think Gawd, that’s a good chunk of change every month! But then I think about going back to modem speed and write the check.
When DSL does get into your neck of the woods, at least check it out.

Only the mediocre are always at their best. -- Jean Giraudoux

John Piwaron
08-14-2003, 9:53 PM
I thought cable modems and DSL were about the same, speedwise. Whichever you get, you're going to love that speed. I wouldn't willingly return to dial up.

You really really need a firewall too. I use Zonealarm. The log in that program now shows thousands of probes or attempted hacks into my machine. And that's even with the modem turned off most the time. I don't power anything up unless I or my family is using the PC.

Jim Becker
08-15-2003, 9:31 AM
I thought cable modems and DSL were about the same, speedwise. Whichever you get, you're going to love that speed. I wouldn't willingly return to dial up.

Not necessarily. It depends on your provider's system and subcription saturation. I used to be on COMCAST cable modem service and it was lickety-split fast...at first. But because the local connections are "shared", it quickly degraded in performace, especially at certain times of day when kids were home from school, etc. My Verizon DSL service's performance has actually been much better in most respects. And it cost's less with the new rates.

Glenn Clabo
08-15-2003, 10:55 AM

Here's a chart I lifted a while back. I've had cable for years and haven't noticed a slow down...or a problem as a matter of fact. However, DSL has it's followers also.
<P>
<table width=90% border=1 cellpadding=6 cellspacing=0>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE"><b>&nbsp;</b></td>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Installation Fee</b></font></td>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Monthly Rates</b></font></td>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Connection Speeds</b></font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>DSL</b></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>$100 to $200</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>$40 to $80 for home users<p>$80 to $320 for business users</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>ADSL: 384-kbps to 9-mbps download/128-kbps upload<p>SDSL: 1.5-mbps download/upload<p>ISDL: Up to 144-kbps download/upload<br></font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td bgcolor="#EEEEEE" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Cable<br>Modem</b></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>$75 to $200</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>$39.95 to $49.95</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>1- to 2-mbps download/128- to 384-kbps upload</font></td>
</tr>
</table>
<font size="-2">Sources: <a href="<A href='http://www.dslreports.com/faq/">DSL'>http://www.dslreports.com/faq/">DSL Reports</a>, <a href="<A href='http://www.covad.net/help/glossary.shtml">Covad'>http://www.covad.net/help/glossary.shtml">Covad Communications</a>, and <a href="<A href='http://www.northpoint.net/business_tutorial.asp">NorthPoint'>http://www.northpoint.net/business_tutorial.asp">NorthPoint Communications</a>.<sub>&nbsp;</sub></font></p>

<table width=90% border=1 cellpadding=6 cellspacing=0>
<tr>
<td width="50%" colspan="2" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>DSL</b></font></td>
<td width="50%" colspan="2" align="center"><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Cable Modem</b></font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="25%" bgcolor=#EEEEEE align=center><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Pros</font></b></td>
<td width="25%" bgcolor=#EEEEEE align=center><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Cons</font></b></td>
<td width="25%" bgcolor=#EEEEEE align=center><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Pros</font></b></td>
<td width="25%" bgcolor=#EEEEEE align=center><font size=2 face=Arial, Helvetica><b>Cons</font></b></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>Always on.<p>Far faster than 56-kbps dial-up modem.<p>Better security than cable.</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>Setup can be difficult.<p>Performance depends on location.<p>For business users, higher speeds get pricey.</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>More widespread than DSL.<p>Potentially faster than DSL.<p>Price break if you get cable TV service, too.</font></td>
<td align="center" valign="top"><font size=-1 face=Arial, Helvetica>Less secure than DSL.<p>Line shared with others in neighborhood; speeds vary accordingly.</font></td>
</tr>
</table>
</p>

Jim Becker
08-15-2003, 11:10 AM
Here's a chart I lifted a while back.

Obviously, this information is regionally applicable. Verizon DSL is 1.5mbs down and 128kbs up and is now $34.95 per month...less if you have one of their "all in one" bundles. COMCAST in my area is $45/mo (or more if you are not a cable subscriber) with similar speed limits; however, my testing of both clearly indicated that DSL is outperforming cable at this point due to subscriber saturation on the shared portion of the cable network. Neither vendor charges an installation fee, although COMCAST charges for the cable modem, either lump sum or as a rental. Verizon gives it for free--at least I didn't have to pay for it!

Some other LECs are now offering agressive DSL packages similar to Verizon.

Charles McKinley
08-15-2003, 9:56 PM
Out here in the boonies I will never have DSL nor cable. I interviewed with the eletric coop for a business grant program for a year of satellite. It will cover the $800 in equipment, $300 set up fee and the first year of $80 a month service.

Does anyone here have a dish for internet?

This is a two way connection no phone line needed. High speed both ways.

Thanks

Jim Shockey
08-16-2003, 7:54 AM
Out here in the boonies I will never have DSL nor cable. I interviewed with the eletric coop for a business grant program for a year of satellite. It will cover the $800 in equipment, $300 set up fee and the first year of $80 a month service.

Does anyone here have a dish for internet?

This is a two way connection no phone line needed. High speed both ways.

Thanks

I have the direcway satellite internet and I would hate to go back to the old modem. I usually receive 650 to 850 but the sending is a lot slower. I've had it for about a year now and it has went out a couple of time in bad storms but for a couple of minutes at a time is all. It is so fast compared to the old modem. I love it. Jim Shockey