PDA

View Full Version : Update on "Good and BAD" thread.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-24-2006, 12:34 AM
A while ago, I showed a piece that I blew the bottom out of. It was Ash. I tried to figure out how to salvage it. I cleaned up the blowout hole and made a tennon on a piece of Walnut. Made the fit good and tight and glued the two pieces together and turned a new base. Sanded to 4000, oiled and rubbedout wet with 12000. Next eight coats of French Polish and something new for me. I now have a Beal system and decided to try it out today, so this piece got the full treatment; tripoly, white diamond, and carnuba wax.

I just noticed the white in the side shot. Just some wax that I later wiped off. Sorry for the quality of the "UNDERSIDE" picture.

Took it to an Art Society meeting. Got Rave Reviews

Thanks for lookin'

Bruce

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
03-24-2006, 1:05 AM
Hey Bruce, that is cool, great save too!

Cheers!

John Hart
03-24-2006, 7:31 AM
Way to go Bruce. I've been saving all my blowouts for this very treatment. Now, if I would just DO IT!!! Sheesh!:o

Bernie Weishapl
03-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Nice save Bruce. Looks like that did the job. Beautiful piece. Amazing what two different woods will do.

Barry Stratton
03-24-2006, 5:32 PM
Great save. New life for a funnel.

Frank Chaffee
03-24-2006, 7:10 PM
Bruce,
The walnut bottom is every bit as beautiful as an ebony one would have been.
Artfully done sir!
Frank

Jim Dunn
03-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Talk about a nice looking bottom. Well we won't talk about it too much. Great save Bruce.

Corey Hallagan
03-25-2006, 12:08 AM
I know that isn't what you planned Bruce, but it looks really nice with that Walnut added. Thanks for the trick, I will keep that one in my back pocket, i think I will need it!! :)

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-25-2006, 2:17 PM
I've had to do it several times. It seems to work well.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Bruce