PDA

View Full Version : Worm Attack Attempt

Norman Hitt
03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
Just curious if anyone else has been getting this while on the forum here?

For the last three days while I have been on the forum at night, I get a message from Norton Antivirus that says it has blocked a Worm Intrusion Attempt. I'm wondering if it is coming from someones computer that is on the forum that is infected, or what? (Note: I'm not too savvy opn all this, so I have no idea if it is even connectedwith the forum).

I did copy down the latest, (tonight's attempt), and it said the following:
Intrusion: Port Scan
Intruder: 66.233.86.57 (53352)
Risk Level: Medium
Protocol: UDP
Attacked IP: 255.255.255.255
Attacked Port: 54343

I know some of you Computer GURU's understand this, Sooooo,...What does all this mean?

Jim Becker
03-24-2006, 10:06 AM
It means that there is a computer somewhere scanning computers in your address range for a vulnerability. Not related to SMC. If you are not using a firewall, you should be. At a minimum, a software firewall should be used...yes, WinXP has on, but it's only effective on in-coming threats. ZoneAlarm or similar products also protect about outgoing threats...trojans, spyware, etc., that try to "phone home". And if you are on a high-speed connection, you should also be using a hardware firewall/router. You can't have too much protection.

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2006, 10:15 AM
That address indicates it came from someone using Clearwire Wireless
Broadband out of Kirkland, WA (right near me). You can report what info
you have to them at:

abuse@clearwire.net

More often than not a worm is sent from someone who doesn't know they have it, not intentionally.

Norman Hitt
03-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the info, I have sent it to clearwire.