PDA

View Full Version : Time on my hands.....dummie question?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2006, 9:15 PM
So.......I would like to order a spare belt for the Jet MiniVS that was given to me. Would I contact Jet directly.......Woodcraft.....? Recommendatons please.

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 9:48 PM
Just get the number off of the belt thats in the machine and buy one local. the number will be something like 3L280 or something similar. The first first number and letter denote the width and pitch and the last three numbers in this case are the length in inches x 10. In my example the belt is 28.0 inches long.
Belts arn't that big of a mystery. All belt are made by 3 or 4 manufacturers. I'f you can fine a number then take it off of the lathe and take it to you friendly bearing house.

You'll save BIG $$$ and end up with the same thing.

David Fried
03-23-2006, 9:58 PM
Your manual is online and says the belt is part number JML-20. WMH (Jet) lists it at $17.13.

(I did what Don says for my dryer and found the belt at NAPA!)

Dave Fried

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Ken go to your local auto parts store and get one. Use the rest of the money you would save and get a good bowl gouge.:D :D :D Maybe even slip a 1 1/2" scraper in there.:p

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Ken go to your local auto parts store and get one. Use the rest of the money you would save and get a good bowl gouge.:D :D :D Maybe even slip a 1 1/2" scraper in there.:p

Ooohhhhh!!!!! A big scraper to add to Ken's collection!!!!! Hey Ken, get two while your at it....I'll "borrow" the second scraper from ya.;) :rolleyes: :D

Matt Meiser
03-24-2006, 8:24 AM
Unless the VS mini uses a much larger belt than my older mini, I don't think you'll find it at an auto parts store.

Randy Meijer
03-25-2006, 5:00 AM
Your manual is online and says the belt is part number JML-20. WMH (Jet) lists it at $17.13.

(I did what Don says for my dryer and found the belt at NAPA!)

Dave Fried

Now, as Paul Harvey would say, for the rest of the storey. Jet is also going to try to charge you $19.95 for shipping that belt!!! This question has come up before on other boards and I did a little research. Don't have the information with me; but I have a couple of Internet sources for the belt that will run you about 10 bucks and much more reasonable postage. If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store closeby, you might give them a call. Email me if you want those Internet sources. I'll look them up Sunday when I get home.

Ken: As you well know; but others obviously don't, the JET mini lathes take a special flat belt that will not be found at the local auto parts store.:rolleyes:

Gary Max
03-25-2006, 6:36 AM
I bought my last lathe belt at Tractor Supply---about $8.00.
Napa is a real ggod place also.

John Hart
03-25-2006, 7:04 AM
I hear you can use one of your wife's nylons.....doesn't last long, but it'll get you to the next gas station.;)

Hey Ken! I got a new scraper at Woodcraft the other day(Pinnacle)...tried it out last night.....Whoa! what a difference!!

Randy Meijer
03-25-2006, 11:45 AM
I bought my last lathe belt at Tractor Supply---about $8.00. Napa is a real ggod place also.

Was it a belt for a JET mini??