PDA

View Full Version : Lathe anyone?

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 8:02 PM
Put up a thread in GWW'ing forum about a shop Keith and I visited today with a lot of old iron, but I thought this lathe deserved to be in this forum by itself. I might be looking for a lathe, but this one is way to big for my shop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1656.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 8:17 PM
Steve that is one big hunk of iron. Wouldn't fit my shop either. WOW

Bob Noles
03-23-2006, 8:20 PM
hmmmmm may be time to expand :eek:

Ernie Nyvall
03-23-2006, 8:34 PM
Dang, is that a chainsaw under it? That is hugge.

Ernie

Christopher K. Hartley
03-23-2006, 8:36 PM
AHHHHH!! FEVER!!! I love the old stuff. Heavy, Rugged, Big... I love my White Iron but for me the old stuff has a fascination about it. Maybe some day...

Gary Max
03-23-2006, 8:44 PM
Heck the town I live in ain't got enough power to run that monster

Charles McKinley
03-23-2006, 8:47 PM
What is the swing and the length between centers?

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 9:08 PM
I don't think that the concrete under it is going to move anytime soon...hunk-a, hunk-a iron!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2006, 9:35 PM
Now if somebody got bombed with that one.........You'd feel the impact and detonation regardless of your location!:D

Michael Cody
03-23-2006, 9:51 PM
Jeeeezzzz Steve, why not:). If you are gonna do it, do it big right. Think of it, you can get some trees and turn Architectural porch posts .. might be a big money maker ?? It will fit in your shop I am sure, might not be able to do anything else, but I bet it will fit.

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Think of it, you can get some trees and turn Architectural porch posts .. might be a big money maker ??

You lathe guys are relentless...I have Mr. Hoyt telling me some good ideas for my business using a lathe, Mr Hart calling me when he had one for sale, and now you. I can see it as a business expense and the Mrs. is also telling me to get one as well. I feel like I'm in a tag team wrestling match ...by myself!

Answers to a couple of questions about the lathe (pictured) it is a chainsaw underneath it, and I have no idea what the measurements and capacities this thing is capable of....but as Mr. Becker said, it is a hunka hunka iron.

Jim Dunn
03-23-2006, 10:54 PM
If your going to be in a wrestling match who better to loose to than a bunch of turners----No Wait loose to your wife, it's more fun!

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 11:16 PM
You lathe guys are relentless...I have Mr. Hoyt telling me some good ideas for my business using a lathe, Mr Hart calling me when he had one for sale, and now you. I can see it as a business expense and the Mrs. is also telling me to get one as well. I feel like I'm in a tag team wrestling match ...by myself!

Answers to a couple of questions about the lathe (pictured) it is a chainsaw underneath it, and I have no idea what the measurements and capacities this thing is capable of....but as Mr. Becker said, it is a hunka hunka iron.

Comeone Steve... The spinney thing are calling you to the Vortex.. Rieistance is futile. You will be assimilated....:D

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Folks - I'm here to tell you that you're wasting your energies on this guy.

He's already been assimilated; already beyond the slippery edge; and already in complete denial about it. In the trades, we refer to this as Stage Two.

Give him time and space. He'll do it. And he'll do it right.

I see a big chunk of steaming hot Canadian white iron in his future. Or maybe a nice imported morsle of gray matter. Perhaps a 14" swing in green? I hear red is in vogue right now.

And I'll wager that we'll never hear him say, "Pardon me, maybe I borrow your Poupon?"

Cecil Arnold
03-24-2006, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Andy has been poisoning the well with Steve for Mustard.

Steve Ash
03-24-2006, 12:06 AM
---No Wait loose to your wife, it's more fun!

Jim, I've been losing to her ever since this day....yeah it's been fun:D :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/img072.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2006, 7:07 AM
I'll bet Andy's been giving some of that subliminal messaging......"yellow's yucky....white is right" stuff!