PDA

View Full Version : Southeast VA woodworkers should look into this...

Brandon Shew
03-23-2006, 5:05 PM
Yukon Lumber in Norfolk recently became a customer of mine (I've been a customer of theirs for years). I was there this morning following up on an installation (and naturally took a stroll through their showroom.) They had the most beautiful WIDE planks of black walnut that I have ever seen. They had several really really nice (drool worthy) boards in there. I'm talking 6/4 x 20"-24" W x 8'-10' H. Nice dark brown grain pattern - not the usual washed out gray kiln dried look. One board had a knot in it but the others were perfect (rare in that size)

I don't have anything lined up on the horizon for wood like that, but I may go back tomorrow to pick up a piece or two because it was so nice. I'm sure it won't last long.

Bob Aquino
03-23-2006, 7:56 PM
They are the place to go for all sorts of exotic lumber, but they aint cheap. I like walking around the place, and I have picked up some nice lumber there within the last year, but I went a bit west out to Suffolk to get the lumber for my current project, a workbench. Did you happen to price out that walnut? Just curious...

Ted Calver
03-23-2006, 8:13 PM
Brandon,
Some nice planks in my special project stash came from Yukon, but Bob's right--they are pricey. Sure would like to find another place somewhere in tidewater with just plain decent hardwood at a fair price. Any suggestions?

Brandon Shew
03-23-2006, 8:41 PM
Sure would like to find another place somewhere in tidewater with just plain decent hardwood at a fair price. Any suggestions?

Some of their woods are pricey and some aren't IMO. I have bought some really nice striped maple in there for the price of regular hard maple which I thought was a steal. You can buy rough from them too for less.

I don't really know of too many other places for hardwoods in tidewater, but I may have stumbled on to a new source today - not sure yet. My brother just had some trees taken down in his yard and the guy that cut them has a sawmill & kiln. My brother gave me his card, but I haven't been there yet. It's called Partner's Tree Care & Buba's Lumber on Princess Anne Rd in Norfolk (627-3020). I was going to try and get over there tomorrow if I get a chance. It's only 2 miles from my office.

Bob - I didn't price it out per bd/ft., but one of the widest pieces (@7' tall) was $160. As much as hate to admit it, I think that timber like that can a premium as it's not something you come by every day.

Bob Aquino
03-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Brandon,
Some nice planks in my special project stash came from Yukon, but Bob's right--they are pricey. Sure would like to find another place somewhere in tidewater with just plain decent hardwood at a fair price. Any suggestions?

Ted
You can try Kirk lumber out in Suffolk. Their selection varies and most of it is stuff like oak and pine, but occasionaly they have other species. I picked up 8/4 soft maple for about 2.50 a bd ft if I remember right. A long time ago I bought a couple hundred feet of red oak for a good price, really varies as to what they happen to have.

Ted Calver
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Brandon and Bob,
Thanks for the leads. I think I might also try to locate some portable mill owners to see if anybody has a stockpile of air dried stuff they might part with. I know we have a lot of oak, maple, poplar and gum in our area so, maybe....