PDA

View Full Version : Papa Bear Woodworks...pics...

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 4:58 PM
Fellow Creeker Keith July is building a table for a client and needed to take it to a fellow that is in our woodworkers club. I've met this man several times and kind of figured he was probably retired from local G.M. and had a little shop...boy was I wrong. The man's name is Joe Mesh and his business is called Papa Bear Woodworks from nearby St. Johns. Joes equiptment is all old stuff he has bought, completely disassembled and rebuilt. His son's work with him and he will tell you that they are responsible for a lot of the re-designing of this equiptment.

Joe does beautiful work and from what I understand, that his bread and butter is building kitchen tables. I also was given the tour of his showroom and I'd say he has done a bunch more than tables. He had lots of nice furniture on display. There was also a framed newpaper article about him and his business building the governor's table a few years back.

Needless to say I was in awe of his talent, shop, tools, expertise, etc. Part of me wanted to learn all I could and the other part of me wanted to say "I Quit, I'll never ever learn a fraction of what this man has forgotten."

Following are pictures of Keith and Joe along with just Joe and his equiptment.

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 5:01 PM
more pics......

I have more than this is anyone want to see more.

tod evans
03-23-2006, 5:06 PM
way cool steve! is the last pic an old a&b shaper?

Dan Oliphant
03-23-2006, 5:23 PM
Steve, please post the other photos, sure would like to see his set up/equipment.

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 5:24 PM
My wife walked in the door and said "Hunny, don't you think you should show what he makes in the shop?" Never being one to argue with the Mrs., here is a pic from his showroom of some of his work.

Tod, the name on that machine was Osbron(?)

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 5:39 PM
Steve, please post the other photos, sure would like to see his set up/equipment.

You got it! A few more.
Tod the first pic is another picture of the machine you asked about.

tod evans
03-23-2006, 5:48 PM
okay, you`ve got me drooling on the keyboard now! maybe someday if i ever get rich-n-famous......

Jim Young
03-23-2006, 5:50 PM
That aint to hobby shop. Maybe when I retire I can have a shop like that, Joe might want to quit by then and I can have his stuff.

Michael Ballent
03-23-2006, 6:14 PM
I think even Dev would approve of that shop ;)

Jay Knoll
03-23-2006, 6:56 PM
Oh that ain't no shop, that's a factory!

LOL

Thanks for the pics, boy he does nice work -- glad you've got SWMBO around to keep the priorities straight

Jay

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 7:11 PM
Nice looking old pin router. Similiar to mine. Think mines larger though. Can't tell from the picture.
Mines got a 7hp motor.

scott spencer
03-23-2006, 7:15 PM
I guess I can only dream of being in that situation some day. Very cool! I just came back from a friend's shop who went pro about a year ago. His shop is pretty nice but not quite like the pics you showed...he does have a CNC machine though which is in a different league than anything most of us weekend hacks play with.

Keith July
03-23-2006, 7:29 PM
You got it! A few more.
Great pictures.
The machine is a C.R. Onsrud. Sorry I don't recall the model number. When it was new(long before my time) it was driven with a flat belt.
It was a business trip when it started but when Steve and I walked thru the door things changed. A great tour and I did get a little work done. Joe aka Papa Bear sanded a table top I am working on.(1 1/4" x 40" x 60") Steve,do you have a picture of the sander? With 4 heads and a 50" wide capacity , it is a big green machine.:eek: Big green is set up with 60 grit on the first head,then 80 grit,100 and the last head has 120 grit. It did a real nice job on the table top.

Keith

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 7:50 PM
Steve,do you have a picture of the sander? With 4 heads and a 50" wide capacity , it is a big green machine.:eek: Big green is set up with 60 grit on the first head,then 80 grit,100 and the last head has 120 grit. It did a real nice job on the table top.

Keith

Sure do.....quite a sanding center.

Dev Emch
03-23-2006, 9:52 PM
I think even Dev would approve of that shop ;)

Very Nice Shop. The planer is a type 3, silver eagle oliver model 299. Most likely an ITCH model to boot. The DeWalt GE RAS may not be worth much anymore but those who have them really like them. The pin router looks like an older model of porter. Didnt see any conventional shapers however. For that matter, wheres the jointer? The sander beastie is impressive. I want to say that may be a Berlin but it looks way Way WAY to modern for that. Do the sanding rollers oscillate? Anybody know the make of that sander for sure?

Bruce Page
03-23-2006, 9:59 PM
You got it! A few more.
Steve, that is a awesome shop! I still don't have any idea what that machine is/does. Can you enlighten me?

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Very Nice Shop. The planer is a type 3, silver eagle oliver model 299. Most likely an ITCH model to boot. The DeWalt GE RAS may not be worth much anymore but those who have them really like them. The pin router looks like an older model of porter. Didnt see any conventional shapers however. For that matter, wheres the jointer? The sander beastie is impressive. I want to say that may be a Berlin but it looks way Way WAY to modern for that. Do the sanding rollers oscillate? Anybody know the make of that sander for sure?

Couple things I do remember about the machines Dev, the pin router was made in Grand Rapids Michigan, The dewalt RAS he really loves (like you said) the sanding rollers do oscillate and hopefully this picture may give you some info on the shop made dust hood as to what make it is. He does not have a table saw in his shop ( I know you didn't ask) some of the pictures (shaper, band saw and others) I took will not download here but I could put them up like this one.

picture of the sander....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1665.jpg

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Steve, that is a awesome shop! I still don't have any idea what that machine is/does. Can you enlighten me?

That machine (in question)makes the profile on his table tops.

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:14 PM
shaper....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1669.jpg

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:16 PM
he said he really didn't care for his bandsaw...here it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1666.jpg

Steve Ash
03-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Last one....his son made this machine to bore the alignment pins in his tables for joining the leafs together when in use....it looks like factory made equiptment to me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1662.jpg

Bill Simmeth
03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Anybody know the make of that sander for sure?It's a Solem. See the second group of pics showing it with the dust hood assembly still on.

Steve, cool stuff. Thanks for posting!

Dale Thompson
03-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Nice looking old pin router. Similiar to mine. Think mines larger though. Can't tell from the picture.
Mines got a 7hp motor.

Hey Purty Man,

I agree on the fantastic shop pictures. :) It's a lot better than working in your living room like I have to do. :(

As an aside, sir, if that new avatar picture is a 7 HP motor, I would seriously consider upgrading to a 300 HP IO! :cool: :eek: Nothing personal, of course, just a suggestion!? ;) :eek: :)

Dale T.

Bill Simmeth
03-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Last one....his son made this machine to bore the alignment pins in his tables for joining the leafs together when in use....it looks like factory made equiptment to me...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/GardenBay/100_1662.jpgI love the name plate! -- "Bearly Werks" !!

Tyler Howell
03-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Picture Police Seal of Approval
Way cool Dude!

Kelly C. Hanna
03-24-2006, 8:23 AM
Wow, that's impressive machinery and furniture!