PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Frank Hagan

Tom Hamilton
03-23-2006, 4:40 PM
for the great idea on corraling the planer dust. After all the tips you folks game me on operating the new DeWalt 735 Planer, (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32973) I fired it up the other day to discover:

1. It works great. Smooth finish on the Cherry work piece, easy to operate and adjust, a real feel of precision and quality.

2.and throws dust everywhere. :eek:

In another thread Frank Hagan showed his homemade garbage can dust collector. After a PM exchange I decided to make one:

Existing garbage can, foam pipe insulation seal, scrap plywood box with furnace filter top. The ply box bottom has a 4" PVC coupler to let the air out through the filter.

Thanks, Frank, easy to make, cheap, and it works great! :D

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 4:42 PM
Geez, I got a crick in my next from trying to see your pics :( . Glad it worked out for you.:D

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 5:01 PM
I was trying to figure out how you got the planer to hang on the wall like that, then I spun the pics for ya...

- Vaughn

Tom Hamilton
03-23-2006, 5:23 PM
Thanks, Vaughn, I thought they were right side up when I previewed them on my computer. I'll have to check my process as I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Thanks for fixing my goof. Tom

Frank Hagan
03-24-2006, 2:05 AM
You're welcome, Tom! Just glad something I did could be of use to someone.

When I first put it together, I had anticipated having to install a "drop pipe" or something to make the trash can into a cyclone. But it worked very well from the very beginning, so I haven't changed a thing.

I think rather than a true cyclone action, we're getting a "drop box" effect ... the air stream is fast in the 4" pipe, then finds the big 20" diameter trashcan and slows down appreciably. The air that goes out the 4" hole in the plywood top doesn't really have to speed up much, so even the lighter dust is staying in the bin. I rarely get more than a few shavings up in the upper box.