PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the Rikon 70-100 Lathe

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 3:05 PM
As some of you may know I'm shopping and came across this model as a possible candidate. It's got 2 " higher turning capacity as well as 2" longer and weight in at about 10 lbs more then the Jet mini.

Lee DeRaud
03-23-2006, 3:18 PM
I'm under the impression that Woodcraft has an exclusive on them at the moment, at least in the US. The store in Stanton is showing them backordered until sometime next month.

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 3:48 PM
Hey Don, PM Bruce Shiverdecker. He has one and use it quite regular. He is well pleased from what he told me.

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 3:49 PM
Woodcraft Phoenix has em in stock and I happen to be going to Phoenix on Business on Monday...there might me some green in the back of my red truck when I come back on monday.

:D

Thanks Bernie

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 3:57 PM
I read Bruces review of the Lathe.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28308

I may have some baggage with me when I come back from AZ..:D

Ron Ainge
03-23-2006, 4:01 PM
Don

I would talk to a lot of people before I purchased that lathe. I turned two days on one that our club when we had a woodworking show. I had nothing but trouble with it during that show. The lathe was supplied by the local Woodcraft store so that they could get our comments on it. Our clud did not give it very high marks. Rikon has some quality control problems that they will have to overcome before they will compete with either the Delta Midi or the Jet Mini. I do own a Jet Mine VS and I am very pleased with it. My buddy has a Delta Midi and he likes that one. Both of us put together have not had nearly the problems with our lathes as I did with the one I used at that show.

Glenn Clabo
03-23-2006, 4:35 PM
Like everything else there a many opinions. I haven't used one...but I did watch a local pro use one. He uses it as a portable for demo's and for teaching local middle schools students. His comment..."It's a well thought out machine and excellant lathe for the money." He also owns a Mr. Mustard and a DVR...and turns and builds furniture for a living.

Richard Jones
03-23-2006, 6:46 PM
Don,

I've had one since about Thanksgiving of 2005 and I've been very pleased with it. I am a new turner, but that should just prove it's a tough machine..... :)

Had some pulley set screws loosen up, but no other problems than that.

The Woodcraft store in Richmond, VA is out of stock, so I guess that would mean they are a good seller for them.

Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 7:08 PM
Don,

Had some pulley set screws loosen up, but no other problems than that.
Richard Jones
Rice, VA

Something I learned a long time ago from my Dad about set screws is there suppose to have a little cup in the end to tighten against shaft. If that gets flattened it won't hold.

I expect like any tool I'll have to tune it up a little when I get it set up but from all of the research I've done I think I'll give it a Spin;) . Woodcraft will take it back if I don't like it. That is if the guy whos buying my metal lathe doesn't back out on saturday..

Chris DiCiaccio
03-23-2006, 7:58 PM
I've had my Rikon since Christmas. So far I really like it. I'm convinced I got more than my money's worth. It has many nice features. Hope you haul one home.

Randy Meijer
03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
.....I turned two days on one that our club when we had a woodworking show. I had nothing but trouble with it during that show......

So, is it a secret?? What kind of problems did you have??:confused: :confused:

Jim Bell
03-23-2006, 11:54 PM
Our club used a Ricon at a demo a few months ago. It performed flawlessly. I like the ability to replace the drive belt without taking the headstock apart. The design is similar to a Frisch ( not sure of the spelling) I have a Delta -midi 3yrs no problems. Today I would probably buy the Ricon. Having said all this in my opinion you can cover the Delta, Jet and Ricon with a blanket. Hope this helps,
Jim

Ron Ainge
03-24-2006, 11:57 AM
I won't go into all of the problems that I had with the machine becasue I have done it before on this site and if you look for the other Rikon listing you will surely find it. I will say that the lathe was reviewed by one of the woodworking magazines and there review was not positive. If you want to write me a private message I will send you a copy of what I sent to another creeker about the lathe.

Don Baer
03-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Ron,
I have read your comments about this Lathe in this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=31232&highlight=Rikon

I have also read a ton of positive comment in this forum and other sources about the Rikon lathe and the positive comments far outweigh the negative ones. I think might have gotten a bad machine and that can happen with any maufacturer whether Its Rikon, Jet Delta or Grizzely or even some of the high end. I'll pick mine up hopefully next week and report back a detailed review once I have a chance to test drive it. The good thing about buying from woodcraft is it will be easy to take back.

Randy Meijer
03-25-2006, 4:00 AM
Don: Thanks for posting that link. It will save me and others a lot of time hunting for it. :) Wish Ron had posted it in his original comments.

Don Baer
03-25-2006, 4:57 PM
My pleasure Randy.

Guy just picked up my metal Lathe so now I got the Cash for my Rikon. :D I wonder if I should take my turning tools with me to Phoenix...:rolleyes:

Randy Moore
03-25-2006, 6:34 PM
...there might me some green in the back of my red truck when I come back on monday.

Thanks Bernie[/quote]

Sounds like Christmas is coming way early this year to the southwest part of the US.:cool: :) :D

You have the $$$ so now we expect pics and reviews. I want the review more than the pics of the lathe. Mr. Pink Thong,:eek: Tyler H. from up norht can ask for the gloat pics.