PDA

View Full Version : My first raw wood to finished project

Ron Wright
03-23-2006, 2:18 PM
I have tried to post pictures of my first project, but had difficulty. I hope these come through. I am a begining ww and this is my first raw red oak to finish project. I still have not selected the hardware. Thanks for looking...

Sean Hughes
03-23-2006, 2:30 PM
Very nice Ron!!!!;) :p What finish did you use?

Sean

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 2:33 PM
Very nice work.. The finish is a little darker then I like but thats just me.

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 2:35 PM
Looks nice!!:D Thanks for sharing

Martin Shupe
03-23-2006, 5:27 PM
Ron,

Very nicely done. Is that Norm's design?

As far as hardware, nothing would look better than wooden Shaker knobs.;)

Now that you have proved yourself, we will expect more great things from you in the future.:D

Ron Wright
03-23-2006, 5:38 PM
Thanks guys. Sean, I used a coat of Behlen Medium Red Mahogany, followed by two coats of General Finishes Java Gel Stain, then three coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Satin. We were trying to match some existing furniture with the color, and it is very close. We are still looking at hardware.
This was Norm's plans number 1091-C. I made a few modificaitons, but for a first project from raw wood it turned out fine. My past efforts were with S2S and much smaller and with out much detail. I did some shop drawers and minor shop work that now that I know how to post the picutures, I will add later.:)
Thanks for your comments.

Vaughn McMillan
03-23-2006, 5:52 PM
Great job Ron, especially if this is your first substantial piece of furniture. Did you harvest the wood yourself, or was it purchased as rough lumber?

- Vaughn

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 6:22 PM
Ron, great looking project. I remember that from Norm's book - my first ww book. I still remember how he cut tenons freehand on the tablesaw - not advisable. Regardless, this project looks wonderful! You hit this one out of the park. Good job.

Carl Eyman
03-23-2006, 8:43 PM
Good work, Ron. Let us see what is next out of your shop.

Roger Barga
03-23-2006, 9:55 PM
most people start out making cutting boards or a box. can't wait to see what you take on for your second project. thanks for sharing photos of your work.

roger

Roger Bailey
03-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Ron, that looks real good for you first raw to finish project.:) I am a big fan of Norm's work. I see that in your profile you are retired military, I would like to say THANK YOU to you and your family for the sacrifice and service to our country.

Julio Navarro
03-24-2006, 1:29 AM
Very nice work Ron. Cant wait to see more projects!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2006, 5:55 AM
Nice project Ron! I like the design, execution and finish. Nice!

Frank Pellow
03-24-2006, 6:45 AM
Ron, you are to be complimented on tackling such an ambitious first project. And you succeeded! The cabinet looks great!

I agree with Martin that wooden knobs would be appropriate. Simple solid brass would also work. Please post a picture or two when you have the unit completed with the hardware.

It wasn't until after about 55 years of woodworking that, earlier this year, I completed my first raw wood to finished cabinet project (also oak).

Ron Wright
03-26-2006, 7:52 AM
Thanks for looking.

Roger, thank you for supporting our troops.

Michael Gibbons
03-26-2006, 3:40 PM
Nice Ron, I need to build one of those for my son. I have the plan and video but no wood. Soon.

Rich Torino
03-27-2006, 9:16 AM
Great looking piece... your way past the "beginning WW" stage..

Tom Spallone
03-27-2006, 10:19 PM
When you said "raw wood" I thought I was going to see a guy with a chain saw cutting down a tree, bandsawing it to death and setting it up for drying.

Nice work though.

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Excellent work Ron, that is a great looking chest of drawers! congrats!

Corey

aurelio alarcon
03-27-2006, 11:47 PM
Very nice work. And I love that deep rich stain!