PDA

View Full Version : What kind of spacing should I use??

Robert Mayer
03-23-2006, 1:56 PM
Im mounting two small panel doors i made, around 2' x 1.5'. They are tiger maple and are fitting flush mount into the frame. Im going to use some of the thin, no mortise hinges. What kind of gap should I allow for around the door? I imagine there is going to be some movement. I also dont want to make the gap too big and make it look bad.

Lars Thomas
03-23-2006, 2:09 PM
Your movement will be minimal in a traditional rail and stile door that size. It's only the stiles that may expand. Is your wood Kiln or air dried, that may make a difference. The no-mortise hinge probably creates an 1/8" reveal. I would stick with that all the way around. Lars

Scott Vigder
03-23-2006, 2:11 PM
Assuming this is for an indoor application....what Lars said.

Dan Oliphant
03-23-2006, 2:15 PM
I agree with Lars, whatever the spacing is that the hinges create needs to be carried through on all four sides, otherwise the eye will be drawn directly to the spacing difference.

Robert Mayer
03-23-2006, 2:22 PM
Your movement will be minimal in a traditional rail and stile door that size. It's only the stiles that may expand. Is your wood Kiln or air dried, that may make a difference. The no-mortise hinge probably creates an 1/8" reveal. I would stick with that all the way around. Lars

thanks for the help. ill measure the hinges when I get back to my shop and use that. Its indoors holding my new tv up.

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 2:42 PM
Yes. I'd also go with hinge thickness.

Michael Gibbons
03-24-2006, 1:06 PM
I've seen articles where they used a dime for the spaces. Try that.