PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Screws

Byron Trantham
03-23-2006, 11:42 AM
Has anyone used pocket screws with Melamine? Is the stuff too brittle for them?

Matt Tawes
03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
I tried it once on a shop cabinet with the coarse thread ones and the melamine split before I even pulled it up tight. I think confirmat screws and pre-drilling is the best way when joining melamine to melamine.

Byron Trantham
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
I tried it once on a shop cabinet with the coarse thread ones and the melamine split before I even pulled it up tight. I think confirmat screws and pre-drilling is the best way when joining melamine to melamine.

Yea, I figured that. I was going to try it but I thought I would ask to save some time. Conformat screws are great. I use them all the time. I need to make a joint that doesn't allow these screws. I need to re-figure how I am going to join these panels. Thanks.

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 1:27 PM
Tighten very carefully. Predrill if you can.

Brent Harral
03-23-2006, 1:27 PM
I have with success using course screws, but you definitly have to pre-drill it and use a light touch. Confirmat screws are and adhesive (imho) are the way to go with melamine.

Gary Curtis
03-27-2006, 4:49 PM
Who sells Confirmat screws?

Gary Curtis

Jesse Cloud
03-27-2006, 5:03 PM
Who sells Confirmat screws?

Gary Curtis

www.McFeeleys.com (http://www.McFeeleys.com) has a handy starter kit that includes a step drill bit for confirmats, pozi drivers, screw caps, and even screws ;)