PDA

View Full Version : Recently completed project

Fred LeBail
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM
This is a nice project that I recently completed and thought I would post since I haven't been posting much lately.
These are a combination of a Stickley Lounge chair with a Bent Arm from a Morriss chair design . I had asked for advice on some angles and took the advice to mock up a chair and have the client sit in it and make the appropriate changes.
She was very pleased that I did that and was also pleased with the end product.

Jim Becker
03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
That's really nice, Fred. Super job! Looks comfortable, too.

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Fred, I really like this one. Very clean lines and very pleasing to the eye. Nice job!

John Timberlake
03-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Really nice job. Love the curves you put in the arms and seat support. Very good design and execution.

Jay Knoll
03-23-2006, 2:37 PM
Fred

That is some wonderful work! Did you bandsaw the back legs to get the curve or laminate them?

Jay

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 3:02 PM
Really nice Fred!! Lot of time invested in those looks like.

Fred LeBail
03-23-2006, 6:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Jay... I actually cut a scarf joint at 6 degree angle and glued them together. This gave me a 12 deg angle and someplace to start with the" seat to back "angle.

Jerry Strojny
03-23-2006, 6:13 PM
Looks great....If you need an official tester, I'm there. Or even a long term tester...say 50 years?? I'll give you a full report at the end of the term.

Did you make the cushion also or was it "out-sourced"?

Fred LeBail
03-23-2006, 8:52 PM
Jerry, a sewing machine is way to dangerous of a machine for me. Those needles are sharp!!!
Actually the cushions were out sourced. 5" high density foam on the seat and 4" medium density for the back. Client's choice.

Richard Neel
03-23-2006, 10:07 PM
This chair speaks to me Fred. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to post some more pictures detailing the back? I would very much like to build a chair like this.

Jim W. White
03-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Fred,

I'll echo Richard's sentiments. I really like the lines of this chair and the proportions. You did a great job!! I would love to hear and see some more details on the joinery. How did you do the scarf joints? ...very intriguing. Did you "nest" the miter or was it simply 6 degrees on each peice.

Again, VERY NICE!!

...Jim W

Mark Singer
03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Very nice work!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-24-2006, 6:25 AM
Fred......Excellent! As stated by others.......looks like it would be very comfortable!

Dave Tinley
03-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Fred-
Nice looking chair. I like the design.
I am, like others alittle quizical on the scarf joint for the rear legs?? :confused:
Are you saying that you took two pieces of stock, cut 6 degree mitre cuts and glued them together???
IF so would this be a end grain to end grain joint???

Probally too late now to get pictures of the rear legs but maybe you could describe the technique used.

Thanks
Dave

Kyle Stiefel
03-24-2006, 6:26 PM
Fine execution!

Jerry Olexa
03-24-2006, 6:30 PM
Nice work...Looks good...nice clean lines.

Fred LeBail
03-24-2006, 9:04 PM
Richard ,Jim and Dave,
I had an order for 3 of these chairs and when I took the mock-up to the client's home she asked would it be a big job if she wanted another one in the future,so when I was fabbing up the important parts like backs,arms and front legs I did 4 of them. The chairs have been delivered but I have to go to her house on Sunday or Monday to deliver another peice so I will take more detailed pic's and do a description for them for you.
This delay is due to work commitments.
Thanks.

Fred LeBail
03-27-2006, 2:24 PM
Sorry for the delay, but here are the additional pic's that you asked for.
The first shows the back of the chair.
This pic shows the junction of siderail,back and arm.
This shows the same from the inside of the chair.
In this one I highlighted the Scarf joint with a lead pencil to hopefully see it better.
I will start another post to put the rest up.

Fred LeBail
03-27-2006, 2:37 PM
Here we go with the remaining pic's.This first shows the position of the mortises to allow for gluing surface.
Here is aone to show the angle on the glue-up.Biscuits could be used here.
This is the front legs showing mortises offset.
This is one of the arm, and it is a end grain glue-up. I used 2 biscuits in this application.

I hope these help you guys. Good luck

Jim W. White
03-27-2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks for all the extra detailed photos Fred. These were very helpful. I'll definately be saving off this thread when I get home tonight. Were there any biscuits involved in the leg scarfs? ....you specifically mentioned using some in the arm glu-up. What glue did you use on that joint (leg scarf)? It looks like it might be a dark glue line (resourcinol?) but it might just be a digital photo shadow also.

I'm repeating myself, but I REALLY like these chairs! Nice work. :D

...Jim W

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-27-2006, 4:03 PM
Very nice Fred. Clean lines and precise. I love it. Thanks for the detailed pics as well.

Mike

Fred LeBail
03-27-2006, 4:10 PM
I didn't use biscuits in the legs but 2 could be used there. The glue is just yellow glue and I hi-lited the joint with a pencil mark so it could be seen better.

Thanks again!

Richard Neel
03-27-2006, 9:47 PM
Thanks very much for the pictures Fred.

Corey Hallagan
03-27-2006, 9:49 PM
Spectacular work Fred! That looks just fabulous!

Corey