PDA

View Full Version : anyone using HVLP with shop compressor

Jeff Monson
03-23-2006, 9:41 AM
My local parts store has a nice nesco hvlp sprayer for 99$ will this sprayer work with shop compressor with a good regulator for spraying laquer

tod evans
03-23-2006, 9:45 AM
jeff, i`ve never heard of the "nesco" brand? check the cfm rating on the gun and on your "shop compressor" most gravity feeds will tax a small compressor but if you give it time to catch up they`ll work okay...02 tod

Charlie Plesums
03-23-2006, 9:57 AM
I use the Porter Cable HVLP "conversion" gun with my ordinary compressor. It costs $99, but less when on sale, and seems to have proven itself... it has been around for several years.

With decent technique and a 13 gallon tank, 5.1 cfm @ 90 psi, I am rarely slowed by the compressor, but it does work pretty hard. If my technique is bad, I can over-run the compressor, but if I stop for a minute to give the compressor a chance to fill the tank, I can go again.

The PC gun has a regulator on the gun itself, so I can leave the compressor at 100+ psi, reduce the pressure at the gun.

I think this is the 4th or 5th gun I have owned, the first HVLP conversion gun, and by far the best. I suspect that a dedicated HVLP turbine system would be better, but not for $100.

Jason Tuinstra
03-23-2006, 10:24 AM
Jeff, I bought the PC HVLP gun as well. I have enjoyed it very much and think that is one of the smarter moves I've made in my woodworking. I use, [clear throat] my little PC pancake compressor. I work it pretty hard and have to be careful with air consumtion, but it's worked for every project I've built for the last 4 years - I just can't kill the dumb thing ;) I've been looking to upgrade, but I prefer to spend the $ on wide curly cherry :p

Steve Clardy
03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I have three of the PC guns in the shop.
Shop has two 60 compressors, hooked together, so never have a need for more air.
Jobsite use, I have two pc 6 gallon pancakes.
I have sprayed staircases using this system. Compressor runs a lot, but have never ran out of air with the small compressor. Set at 130#'s, and gun at 20#'s.

jerry cousins
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
i use a walcom hvlp gun on a 20 gallon compressor. works well - i set the regulator on the compressor down to about 12 psi and then down 8 at the gun - have not run out of air. mostly spray shellac and lacquer.

jerry