PDA

View Full Version : Turning a Coffee Cup?

Jeff Horton
03-23-2006, 8:41 AM
After the little goblet, glass whatever thingie I was thinking about making a coffee cup. Turning it is farily straight forward. Just not sure what wood... most anyting would probably work.

But what finish would you use? Since it is hot (coffee), whats a good finish? Or is this a bad idea? It sure would be cool.

Mike Ramsey
03-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Hate seeing a post not answered so I thought I would just
say that I have no idea about the type of wood or finish for
drinking hot coffee!!:( .

Tom Jones III
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Why don't you hack one out real quick making no effort to make it look nice and see what happens? Be sure to report back, I would love to know myself. I would imagine some mineral oil would be helpful but that the cup won't last forever. Still I wouldn't mind making a new one every year.

I did this with a quick cutting board and put it in the dishwasher. Keep in mind this is a user cutting board and it looks like it, but after years of harsh use and the bottom rack on the dishwasher there are no cracks or warping.

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 11:27 AM
I want to see you turn it with the handle on it...:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Don I am like you. I would be interested in seeing how a handle is done on the cup. :eek: :D

tod evans
03-23-2006, 11:30 AM
make it out of cherry then there`s no need for yuppie coffee....02 tod

Keith Burns
03-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I want to see you turn it with the handle on it...:rolleyes:

Me, too..........:)

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 11:49 AM
I think the heat from the the java would likely destroy the finish in fairly quick order - and regardless of what finish you used. So.... Why bother with a finish? Just go au naturel!

Pete Jordan
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
I found this on Google. If you read down far enough it sounds like maybe an answer. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/wood-utensils-msg.html
Pete

Bruce Smith
03-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Jeff see if you can get your hands on a copy of Spring 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine. There is a six page article in there on a one piece coffee cup with handle. Looks like a great project, I do plan on trying it someday but seems there are too many projects ahead of it. The author doesn't mention what finish to use so looks like it might be trial and error. Please let us know how you make out, GOOD LUCK...

Pete Jordan
03-23-2006, 1:08 PM
I asked one of the teachers at my school to ask her husband who works at Sherwin Williams if there was a safe finish. He said nothing they had was microwaveable and he unaware of anything else they had that would work.

Pete

Pete Jordan
03-23-2006, 1:54 PM
I called General Finishes and the guy said the General salad bowl finish will work if you build up coats. He also said microwaving is not an option.

Pete

Lars Thomas
03-23-2006, 2:04 PM
I wouldn't finish it at all. It will develop a rich brown patian on the inside anyway - just like the real ones (whether you clean it or not). Lars

rick fulton
03-23-2006, 3:34 PM
Jeff -

How about sleeving the inside with stainless steel, glass, or ceramic? Turn the inside to fit your favorite drinking vessel. i have no idea how to finish the outside. Good luck.

rick

Jeff Horton
03-23-2006, 3:40 PM
Seems like I may have found something new to try. :cool: :cool: :cool:

I have a couple of ideas for handles, but yes they are a seperate peice. I have some pecan that polished up really nice in the shop. Might try that, I don't think I would poison myself. :rolleyes:

HEY! I have some Walnut! :D The coffee wouldn't stain it and it wouldn't stain the coffee (noticably anyway) :rolleyes: OK, may have to try it warn the wife it start acting weird.... well more than normal it might be the coffee cup.

Jeff Horton
03-23-2006, 3:47 PM
I found this on Google. If you read down far enough it sounds like maybe an answer. http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/wood-utensils-msg.html
Pete
I found it!! Thanks Pete.

"I have heard people having good luck with West Systems 2
part epoxy resin,"

Epoxy is great idea. It is inert once cured and is commonly used in water tanks on boats. Just have to double check it resitant to heat. I know that is it's one weakness but will have to check on it's temprature limits. Might have to try olive oil too and see what happens. Worst case it is ruins the taste of the coffee.

Jim Davenport
03-23-2006, 3:50 PM
Back when I was in the Navy, a lot of guys had coffee cups from the Phillippines. If I remember, they were made from "Nara" ? wood. I don't Remember how they were finished. But I don't remember anyone dieing from them, although that might explain the crazy things some of us did in our intemperate youth!:eek:

John Hart
03-23-2006, 3:55 PM
I checked on the durability of epoxies to heat today. High limit of 100 degrees F is all I could find.

I did want to maybe warn you a little....or at at least ask....Isn't there something wrong with using walnut? Not that I know for sure...But I know it makes horses sick.

Not that I care whether horses get sick or anything.;)

Tom Jones III
03-23-2006, 4:01 PM
The oil in the wood is has antiseptic properties, sedative effects and best of all it also acts as a laxative.

I would be comforatble using walnut for bowls and cutting boards, however if anything would cause problems it would be a drinking cup.

Jeff Horton
03-23-2006, 4:19 PM
Sorry guys, the walnut was a joke. :) Now it might work but I wasn't serious.

I just took a break from the report I was working on and strolled through the station and all I have right now is some spalted walnut and a bunch of green pecan. I can cut some sweetgum but that stuff is so wet! I might try the pecan this weekend.

I really need to sand and prime the garage doors tonight before I start something else. But.......

Andy Hoyt
03-23-2006, 4:26 PM
Jeff - If you read deeper thru the link that Pete posted there's a note from someone who deals in epoxy all the time and was most adamant against epoxy and wooden utensils and consumption. It's right down near the bottom of the page.

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 4:28 PM
I just took a break from the report I was working on and strolled through the station and all I have right now is some spalted walnut and a bunch of green pecan.

Hmmm Pecan Flavored coffee. Maybe there a market for turned coffee cups at Starbucks..:D

Philip Duffy
03-23-2006, 5:45 PM
Take advantage of the properties of white oak and put several coats of CA inside. One way or the other, we all go to see the Maker! Phil

John Hart
03-23-2006, 6:05 PM
Take advantage of the properties of white oak and put several coats of CA inside. One way or the other, we all go to see the Maker! Phil

Since CA is water soluable, it'll probably dissolve with each cup of coffee. You might want to lay down a new coat of it in the cup after each use. Just a suggestion.;) :D

Don Baer
03-23-2006, 6:14 PM
Since CA is water soluable, it'll probably dissolve with each cup of coffee. You might want to lay down a new coat of it in the cup after each use. Just a suggestion.;) :D

Then how come it won't wash of of my hands once it dries....:mad: ,:D

John Hart
03-23-2006, 6:23 PM
hmmmm...maybe you should soak your hands in your coffee Don.:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
03-23-2006, 6:51 PM
I read somewhere that is someone is allergic to walnuts that they should use walnut bowls or cups. Also on don't let someone use a bowl with walnut oil on it. We had a gal that almost died she was so allergic to walnuts and ate from a bowl that had been finished with walnut oil. Nobody really gave it a thought at the time.

Rob Littleton
03-23-2006, 7:02 PM
You've sparked a thought. I might glue up some Corian this weekend and try it. The handle..........hmmmm...I'll have to play with that idea.

Ernie Nyvall
03-23-2006, 7:13 PM
I agree with Andy about not finishing. I'd use hard maple or cherry because of the tight grain. Pecan does get shiney, but has big pores. Sand and raise the grain several times before your first use and if you really want to tighten the wood up, rub it down with the top of a glass coke bottle. I wouldn't worry about discoloring the inside with the coffee...just dip the whole thing in the pot from time to time and it will all be the same color.:D

Ernie

Jeff Horton
03-23-2006, 7:45 PM
Andy, I saw that after I posted it. I have to wonder if they allergies are not related to uncured or epoxy dust? I went to the Gugeon Brothers site and they don't say anything about it. But a search revealed there is USDA good grade epoxy. I don't have any at the moment so it doesn't much matter. :)

What about hickory for the wood? I forgot I have a stick of hickory I got for doing some handles. I ended up using a tuba four and liked them so I have that log laying there. That the only other wood I have at the moment. And some small plum limbs for chistmas ornaments.

Well some cypress but.............;)

Bob Opsitos
03-23-2006, 7:45 PM
How about sleeving the inside with stainless steel, glass, or ceramic?

I second the sleeving, seems like to best bet to get one that lasts and limits liability.

Bob

Tom Jones III
03-24-2006, 9:36 AM
I second the sleeving, seems like to best bet to get one that lasts and limits liability.

Bob

Seems like drips would run down between the wood and steel, then you've got a worse situation when you are growing a bio-hazard in your coffee cup. I'm for making one with the expectation of throwing it away in a year or so and making a new one. After all, we're only talking 30' on the lathe.

Frank Fusco
03-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Jeff, are you on one of the penturning forums? There was a thread like this in the past few days. Here is pretty much how I responded: I am a historical reenactor, part of my outfit consists of a carved wood cup. I have been using this cup for more years than I can remember, at least 20, probably more. In that time, I have tried a variety of finishes. None last. The oils float to the surface making drinking whatever you have at the moment quite unpleasant. My cup is used in the mornings for coffee, during day for water and evenings, libations. Years ago I gave up trying to put a finish on it. It is now used plain, as in nekkid. That, in my opinion, is not just the best, but the only way to go. An aside, there may be some woods not suitable for food use. Checking that out might be a good idea. That said, I don't even know what kind of wood mine is made from. No problem as I can't even remember anymore when I went nuts. :eek:

John Hart
03-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Cool Frank!!! You are the answer! Can you take a picture of your cup?

Larry Klaaren
03-24-2006, 3:10 PM
Walnut wood is toxic to some animals. It has an agent that causes a reaction similar to metaldehyde poisoning. Shavings used for bedding with as little as 20% walnut will cause horses to suffer from edema and laminitis within 24 hours of exposure. Hardwood shavings kill laboratory animals and pet rodents pretty quickly, due to an enzyme that is in them. Those are the only toxins I know of that are actually in the wood and affects North American animals. I have not read that it has an effect on humans, but that doesn't mean that it does not.

Oak leaves and budding acorns are poisonous to most grazing animals, causing a severe constipation and urinary effects, but the wood hasn't been identified as causing a problem. Maple leaves are also poisonous, causing a Heinz body anemia and tying up oxygen in the blood. Maple syrup does not cause disease in cattle, but there is a congenital disease that causes the urine of Hereford Cattle to smeel like maple syrup and that is called Maple Syrup Disease.

Don't know what the effect of frequently drinking out of a cup that could possibly be leeching a toxin into the coffee would be, but in the case of lead, it is a bad deal.

Larry

Glenn Hodges
03-24-2006, 3:41 PM
I have been following this thread and would like to suggest sycamore for a wood. It is a good wood for utinsils because it imparts no flavor. I have never heard of anyone being allergic to it, but that noes not mean no one is not in today's world. I have used it for bowls, plates and goblets which have been used for food and drink consumption. The goblets were sanded to 800 grit then buffed and no finish was used. Hope this helps.

Vaughn McMillan
03-24-2006, 6:56 PM
...Might have to try olive oil too and see what happens. Worst case it is ruins the taste of the coffee.

Can't speak from a coffee cup perspective, but I know olive oil is not a good treatment for cutting boards, since it can turn rancid, which would indeed ruin the taste of a cuppa joe.

- Vaughn

Christopher K. Hartley
03-24-2006, 10:01 PM
... I have no idea about the type of wood or finish for
drinking hot coffee!!:( .

Hey Mike if we brought some coffee plants here to Texas we would have Coffee Trees in no time then Jeff could turn a real Coffee Cup.

Oops, sorry guys it's that Texas thing...it just pops out every once in a while.

Larry Klaaren
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
On the Woodturning Techniques episode that is being shown on the DIY network tomorrow at noon and 10:30 p.m. eastern, they are turning a platter and discussing "Food Safe Finishes."

That's an FYI about DIY, FWIW.

Larry